Women’s Soccer: Team snags win, tie opening weekened

The women’s soccer team began its season last weekend by recording a 1-1 double-overtime tie against Ole Miss and an 8-0 victory over Alabama A&M.

The (‘Canes 1-0-1) traveled to Oxford, Miss., playing two games in the span of three days. Their first game was played on Aug. 31 against Ole Miss (1-0-2). Miami presented a different look from last year right from the opening kickoff, as they started five new players, including four true freshmen.

Freshman Brittney Steinbruch made an immediate impact on her new team, scoring the game’s first goal in the 16th minute of play to give Miami the lead. The goal was answered 12 minutes later, as an Ole Miss shot was deflected off of a Miami defender into the net in the 28th minute to tie the score.

Although no goals were scored throughout the rest of the game, Miami did not fall to the draw without attempting numerous other scoring opportunities. At the end of 110 minutes of game play, Miami finished with 10 shots on goal, including two that hit the crossbar.

Head Coach Tricia Taliaferro was pleased with the effort her team displayed, despite them opening their season with a tie.

“We created a lot of scoring opportunities and improved as the game continued,” Taliaferro said. “But we have some things we will continue to work on.”

Whatever kinks Miami needed to work on seemed to be fixed by Sept. 2, when the Hurricanes took on Alabama A&M (0-3). Miami started the game aggressively with Steinbruch again scoring the first goal, this time in the ninth minute of play. Freshman Lauren Singer followed her goal with a score of her own only 24 seconds later, giving Miami an early 2-0 lead.

The scoring rush continued, with Miami clenching two more goals before halftime, gaining a 4-0 lead. The ‘Canes refused to let up in the second half, scoring four more goals to win by a score of 8-0.

The eight goals scored in the game were the most goals scored by a Miami women’s soccer team since the record-setting 10-0 win at Stetson on Oct. 27, 2001.

For Alabama A&M, the game was their second consecutive loss by a score of 8-0. They recorded only one shot attempt in the game.

Freshmen Steinbruch and Singer both recorded hat tricks in their second game as Hurricanes. Seniors Sheuneen Ta and Akilah Moore also scored a goal each.

“I’m pleased the freshmen have stepped up and are contributing this early in the season,” Taliaferro said. “Today, not only did we create a lot of scoring opportunities, we finished them.”

The Hurricanes will look to remain undefeated as they prepare to take on Samford today in Birmingham, Ala.

Joel Brown may be contacted at j.brown22@umiami.edu.

USA Diving announced the recipients of its annual awards at a ceremony in conjunction with the 2017 ...