Sports Briefs

Volleyball
‘Canes play tough in Milwaukee

The Hurricanes went 1-2 in the Marquette Tournament, displaying strength and endurance throughout. The Hurricanes were downed 3-2 by Marquette in the Hurricane’s first game and Texas-Arlington in the second game, but the bounced back to shutout Oakland 3-0 in their final game of the tournament.

Against Marquette, Miami had five players-Ciara Michel, Maria Andersson, Genny Meayhew, Ariell Cooke and Ashley Woods-with double digit kills, while Katie Gallagher and Bridget Bomhack had 28 and 25 assists, respectively. Still, this was not enough, as the ‘Canes had no answer for Marquette’s Kimberley Tood, who had 27 kills, and Katie Weidner, who had 50 assists.

In their game against Texas-Arlington, the ‘Canes once again had five players-Michel, Mayhew, Cooke, Woods and Bomhack-who recorded double digit kills, while Galagher and Bomhack had 47 and 27 assists, respectively. Additionally, Cassie Loessberg had 49 digs, but that was not enough for the Hurricanes, as Texas-Arlington outdid the Hurricanes behind their five-some of double digit kill recorders.

The ‘Canes showed resiliency, as they outdueled Oakland behind double digit kills from Woods and Bomhack. Additionally, Gallagher recorded 35 assists, while no Oakland players surpassed seven individual kills.

With the 1-2 tournament record, the Hurricanes moved to 4-3 on the season.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

The unopened Christmas gift that University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz recently spoke ...

The University of Miami is in conversations about playing the University of Alabama to kick off the ...