News Briefs

Assistant professor of education appointed to ‘Reading First’ council

U.S. Secretary of Education Margaret Spellings has appointed Maria S. Carlo, assistant professor in the School of Education’s Teaching and Learning Program, to the Reading First Advisory Council.

Along with 11 other appointees, Carlo will review grant proposals and make funding recommendations based on scientific research.

Carlo has spent years studying bilingualism in children and adults and is involved with several projects investigating the transfer of reading skills from Spanish to English among elementary school children.

In her new role, Carlo will use her expertise on the cognitive processes involved in reading to help fund programs that enhance academic opportunities for bilingual students.

“Children who are learning English as a second language are at a higher risk of not attaining the levels of reading achievement that we expect for them,” Carlo said. “One of the roles I will play is trying to think about the ways in which the Reading First plans are meeting the needs of English language learners.”

ETC.

During the coming weeks, President Donna E. Shalala will meet with the Critical Incidence Task Force to discuss a recent report released by the Virginia Tech Review Panel regarding last April’s shootings. Representatives from UM police, Student Affairs, Counseling Center, faculty, students and other university decision-makers plan to attend. See next Thursday’s issue of The Hurricane for the full story.

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...

Three Miami women's tennis players are featured in this week's Oracle/ITA rankings, along ...

Riding a five-game road winning streak, the Miami women's basketball team will look to make it ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...