Miami no match for No. 5 Oklahoma

POSTED SEPT. 8 AT 5:30 P.M.

The Hurricanes traveled to Norman, Okla. and faced the No. 5 Sooners in a disappointing blow-out, which came after offensive woes and numerous penalties.

Miami (1-1), led by Head Coach Randy Shannon, had its first real test of the season and fell short 51-13 at the hands of a seemingly unstoppable Oklahoma (2-0) team.

Starting quarterback Kirby Freeman operated an unsuccessful offense for most of the first half, and struggled to make connections with receivers. The strain on the run game and pressure from the Sooners’ defense forced Miami to settle for a field goal in the first quarter.

After backup Kyle Wright entered the game just before the half, Miami’s passing game seemed somewhat revived as he led the ‘Canes downfield. The Hurricanes looked prepared for a field goal on 4th-and-3 at the Oklahoma 8-yard line when holder David Strimple passed to junior Calais Campbell to secure the first down. At the hands of two Oklahoma penalties, the ‘Canes reached the end zone for their first and only touchdown of the day.

Despite two Oklahoma turnovers, a missed field goal and six penalties, the Sooners easily outmatched the Hurricanes.

Additional game coverage will be available Monday in the print edition of The Miami Hurricane.

Stacey Arnold may be contacted at s.arnold@umiami.edu.

To read Senior Sports Writer Matthew Bunch’s live game blog, please visit: Bunch’s Big Blog.

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Sea Secrets: Acclaimed Journalist Talks Sea Level-Rise ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

The latest edition of Quick Hits introduces middle blocker Bridget Wallenberger ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...