How Barack Obama stole my heart

Barack Obama came to Miami two Saturdays ago and while everything was pretty much the same as any other political fundraiser, Barack stood out to me. I had heard about him and read about him but still hadn’t been convinced. I expected to hear the same old lines all politicians give.

I watched Barack as he made himself at home in the heart of Little Havana (where I never thought a black man from the North could settle himself so comfortably). While a handful of demonstrators attempted to create a ruckus outside, hundreds cheered for him inside.

And Barack delivered. He is as sure of himself as any other old-timer in politics. He is secure in his abilities and his motivations, and after hearing him speak, I began to feel secure in him, too.

He addressed every point and every criticism I have ever heard about him, refuting each brilliantly, humbly, confidently, assuring the crowd that he has experience and is the best candidate for the job. Sure, you may say I fell victim to an eloquent speaker, but something in my heart tells me that’s not all it was. I’ve heard amazing speakers before, even Bill Clinton last spring-and I love Bill Clinton. But even he didn’t effectively tug at my heartstrings in a way that made me believe and trust almost undoubtedly.

I understand that his contenders are strong. Hillary frightens me with her assuredness and ability. Barack is doing well for a fairly new senator, but he requires much more support from the Democratic Party. So, as much as he has won me over, I am worried about his chances. I believe that he need only speak of his goals, ambitions and dreams for this country in order for one to believe. However, I know that may not be enough to win him the presidency.

So I wish him the best of luck, because I think he is the best this country can get-an idealist, a dreamer who achieves, a man full of hope. He infused the crowd with feelings of opportunity, equality and liberty-it can be done, he said. I hope he is given the opportunity to do his work because I think he can deliver something that has been sorely lacking in politics. I’m an idealist and a dreamer and I choose not to let these feelings be torn down by cynicism and so-called realism. These are the motivations that make change. This is why I am choosing to support him. He is a politician who believes that a better world is not just an idealist’s dream, but a tangible possibility. I can’t wait to see what happens when someone with a great dream for change is actually given the opportunity to make it come true.

Bernardita “Beni” Yunis is a senior majoring in communication studies, international studies and religious studies. For the time being, she isn’t doing much but packing for her study abroad semester and eagerly awaiting your message at b.yunis@umiami.edu.

Former pro wrestler and promoter The Tennessee Stud Ron Fuller was interviewed by Ryan K. Boman of T ...

The University of Miami has its future quarterback. Jarren Williams, a consensus four-star, dual-thr ...

Through its new Leadership UMiami program, the Butler Center for Service and Leadership is empowerin ...

A Biomedical Engineering Major and campus leader, Sterlie Achille involved herself in many activitie ...