CexCells, indeed, with new album

I was at first skeptical of Blaqk Audio’s CexCells. Granted, this skepticism lay mostly in the abilities of their spell check; however, from the first moments of the album, all skepticism was blown away by their undeniable vocal talents and shiver-provoking lyrics. With driving techno beats and a futuristic sound, CexCells makes a killer opening not only as a rockin’ dance album but also as a moody backdrop to a cup of java and contemplation.

Don’t let the singers’ chilling whispers and sweet voices fool you. These two delectable boys produced the impressive album themselves. Yep, they wrote their own songs. The piano melody in “Where would you like them left?” is nothing short of haunting and the captivating beat in “Cities of the Night” showcases their talents. The ‘could-be’ love songs of “Stiff Kittens” and Between Breaths” flaunt lyrical explosions of emotion. “On A Friday” toes the line between desire and anger, evoking emotions of confusion and uncertainty that afflict many college students.

In short, CexCells makes me want to flip on a strobe light, dance to “Again, again, and again,” and pretend I’m cool enough to do so. The album, though far from mainstream, has multiple elements to please the ear of a discerning listener. If you appreciate excellent lyrics, sick melodies and rare instrumental talent, give Blaqk Audio’s CexCells a listen. Chances are, you’ll relate to the chaos, disappointment, and cautious optimism that characterize this album. If not, just stick with those top-forty artificially-flavored confections.

Padma Sarvepalli may be contacted at p.sarvepalli@umiami.edu.

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...