CexCells, indeed, with new album

I was at first skeptical of Blaqk Audio’s CexCells. Granted, this skepticism lay mostly in the abilities of their spell check; however, from the first moments of the album, all skepticism was blown away by their undeniable vocal talents and shiver-provoking lyrics. With driving techno beats and a futuristic sound, CexCells makes a killer opening not only as a rockin’ dance album but also as a moody backdrop to a cup of java and contemplation.

Don’t let the singers’ chilling whispers and sweet voices fool you. These two delectable boys produced the impressive album themselves. Yep, they wrote their own songs. The piano melody in “Where would you like them left?” is nothing short of haunting and the captivating beat in “Cities of the Night” showcases their talents. The ‘could-be’ love songs of “Stiff Kittens” and Between Breaths” flaunt lyrical explosions of emotion. “On A Friday” toes the line between desire and anger, evoking emotions of confusion and uncertainty that afflict many college students.

In short, CexCells makes me want to flip on a strobe light, dance to “Again, again, and again,” and pretend I’m cool enough to do so. The album, though far from mainstream, has multiple elements to please the ear of a discerning listener. If you appreciate excellent lyrics, sick melodies and rare instrumental talent, give Blaqk Audio’s CexCells a listen. Chances are, you’ll relate to the chaos, disappointment, and cautious optimism that characterize this album. If not, just stick with those top-forty artificially-flavored confections.

Padma Sarvepalli may be contacted at p.sarvepalli@umiami.edu.

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

NBA Draft will be held Thursday evening in Brooklyn. ...

First-year Miami head soccer coach Sarah Barnes released Wednesday the team's schedule for the ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...

Jaquan Johnson was named to Athlon Sports' Preseason All-America First Team, while Shaq Quarter ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...