Assistant dean at School of Communication, 45

Last Wednesday, Jacqueline Gonzalez, assistant dean for finance and administration at the School of Communication, collapsed during a staff meeting and stopped breathing. After a few days in Doctor’s Hospital she failed to regain brain activity and was pronounced dead Sunday. She was 45.

Gonzalez, who worked at the university for 17 years, oversaw the financial management and records of the school, working closely with faculty and staff.

“She did have a very profound influence on the entire Comm School and because of her position she was known across the university,” said Dean Sam L Grogg.

Though there is some history of heart problems in her family, Gonzalez’s death was unexpected.

After her collapse, Grogg said a staff member called 911 immediately. Those present also searched for someone to perform CPR and found Leslie Foote, a senior who left class to provide assistance before the paramedics arrived.

Gonzalez is survived by her husband, Tom, a son and two daughters-one of which is a sophomore in the School of Business.

The wake will take place this evening from 7 to 10 p.m. at Caballero Rivero Woodlawn Funeral Home at 8200 S.W. 40th Street. A Catholic Mass will take place on at 11:30 a.m. Friday at St. Timothy’s Catholic Church at 5400 S.W. 102nd Ave., followed by the burial at Caballero Rivero Woodlawn Cemetery at 11655 S.W. 117th Ave.

Karyn Meshbane may be contacted at k.meshbane@umiami.edu.

The unopened Christmas gift that University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz recently spoke ...

The University of Miami is in conversations about playing the University of Alabama to kick off the ...