Assistant dean at School of Communication, 45

Last Wednesday, Jacqueline Gonzalez, assistant dean for finance and administration at the School of Communication, collapsed during a staff meeting and stopped breathing. After a few days in Doctor’s Hospital she failed to regain brain activity and was pronounced dead Sunday. She was 45.

Gonzalez, who worked at the university for 17 years, oversaw the financial management and records of the school, working closely with faculty and staff.

“She did have a very profound influence on the entire Comm School and because of her position she was known across the university,” said Dean Sam L Grogg.

Though there is some history of heart problems in her family, Gonzalez’s death was unexpected.

After her collapse, Grogg said a staff member called 911 immediately. Those present also searched for someone to perform CPR and found Leslie Foote, a senior who left class to provide assistance before the paramedics arrived.

Gonzalez is survived by her husband, Tom, a son and two daughters-one of which is a sophomore in the School of Business.

The wake will take place this evening from 7 to 10 p.m. at Caballero Rivero Woodlawn Funeral Home at 8200 S.W. 40th Street. A Catholic Mass will take place on at 11:30 a.m. Friday at St. Timothy’s Catholic Church at 5400 S.W. 102nd Ave., followed by the burial at Caballero Rivero Woodlawn Cemetery at 11655 S.W. 117th Ave.

Karyn Meshbane may be contacted at k.meshbane@umiami.edu.

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Five of the greatest football players of all time were inducted into the Miami Hurricanes Ring of Ho ...

View photos from the Georgia Tech at Miami game Saturday, Oct. 14, 2017, at Hard Rock Stadium in Mia ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...