Sports Briefs

FOOTBALL

Shields suspended for first game

Sophomore wide receiver Sam Shields was suspended for the season opener against Marshall this Saturday, Head Coach Randy Shannon told reporters Tuesday.

After committing a “violation of team policy,” Shields, thought to be amongst the best receivers on the team, was not featured on a depth chart.

“He’s upbeat and positive about it,” Shannon said. “Sam accepts his role.”

Junior Khalil Jones will take Shields’ spot against the Thundering Herd.

“In my head, I’m always a starter,” Jones said. “I’m prepared every day to go out there and give my all.”

Hurricanes wearing orange for opener
When Miami takes on Marshall Saturday, they will be wearing orange, and they’re hoping the fans that come out will do so too.
Building off a campaign started last year by fan Rory Ellis, the founder of theorangerevolution-canes.com–a movement asking fans to wear orange for the last game of the season against Boston College–the athletic department has now become involved, kicking off the “Wear Orange” campaign. There are discussions of more color coordination as the year progresses.

In Other News

Sebastian receives recognition
Sebastian the Ibis, the mascot of the University of Miami, is receiving high honors from two different outlets.

The staff of collegefootballnews.com recently conducted a poll, and placed Sebastian No. 14 amongst all college mascots.

“Sebastian the Ibis is a sometimes-bizarre, always-present mascot who’s found celebrating under the goalposts after every Miami extra point and field goal,” said Pete Fiutak of collegefootballnews.com. “Considering how good the teams were during the late-1980s and early 1990s, he got more air time than Madonna.”

Sebastian was also nominated for the Mascot Hall of Fame, an organization seeking “to honor great mascot performers, performance, and programs that have inspired tradition and positively affected their communities,” according to the group’s Web site.

To vote for Sebastian, visit www.mascothalloffame.com.

Compiled by Assitsant Sports Editor Matthew Bunch.

Miami director of track and field/cross country Amy Deem's incredible career earned her a place ...

Check out the latest edition of Hurricane Magazine. ...

Members from the Miami track and field team spent the afternoon at the Boys and Girls Club in Miami ...

UM administrators, coaches and alums took part in yesterday's allCanes Holiday Shopping Spree f ...