Shannon begins new era with old-school discipline

The Miami Hurricanes have traditionally been college football’s black sheep. In spite of their storied legacy and impact on the collegiate and professional ranks, the Hurricanes have long been cast in a negative light for behavior off the field.

Displeased with that perception, new Head Coach Randy Shannon wants to see the “Thug U” image change.

“I just want to make sure we’re very respectful in the public view,” Shannon said. “We’re going to make sure everything we do, everyone at the University of Miami can be proud of.”

Under former Head Coach Larry Coker, the media ripped the University of Miami for its sideline-clearing brawl in its game against Florida International University. The incident was predominately blamed on UM players and garnered nationwide attention that furthered the negative perception of Miami football players.

From the moment Shannon was named head coach, he instilled a strict brand of discipline to change how the public perceives the Hurricanes. This behavior revolution has in turn been a tool for a successful recruiting campaign.

Shannon’s new rules forbid players from owning weapons. Curfews are frequently imposed on players as a result of the coach’s belief that “nothing good happens after midnight.” He also prohibits team members from eating or wearing hats during meetings out of respect.

In addition, Shannon is placing a strong emphasis on academics and requires players with a GPA of 2.5 or lower to live on campus. Players caught skipping classes or workouts will not only see less playing time, they will be punished by running more than they would like.

“Discipline is important,” Shannon said. “If you want to win games, you can’t have distractions. I’m changing how we feel about ourselves.”

That change is rooted in accountability-accountability to the university and accountability to one another. It’s a change evident to All-American junior defensive end Calais Campbell.

“Coach Shannon gets everyone next to each other in drills, in the locker room, in meetings. He wants us together, looking out for each other, making sure we’re accountable for one another,” Campbell said. “He makes us smarter, wiser people.”

Those bonds of team unity, which have been absent in recent years, are just one more reason why standout high-schoolers still choose to play in Coral Gables, Fla. despite last season’s disappointing turnout.

For example, highly touted running back Graig Cooper, “the human highlight film” as he was referred to in high school, became a ‘Cane this year, after turning down offers from Oklahoma State, Tennessee and Mississippi. Cooper said he chose UM not for its legacy, but rather for the team chemistry Shannon champions. He will likely join a handful of other freshman who will see plenty of action this season.

“[The people here] were my family before I got here,” Cooper said. “When I got here, it was like I was already a part of the team.”

Similar to Cooper, elite high-school athletes have committed-verbally-to the University of Miami since Shannon took over the program, With so many thus far, experts predict the Hurricanes could be poised to make a championship run by 2009.

Shannon is no stranger to winning; he played on or coached three of Miami’s five championship teams. But he insists the price of victory is accountability.

Humility and hard work are Shannon’s formula for rebuilding the Hurricane football dynasty.

“We’re just going to make sure we meet our goal. And that’s to make sure each student athlete on this team is represented in the community well and that we win football games.”

Victor R. Rodriguez may be contacted at v.rodriguez18@umiami.edu.

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...