Hurricane volleyball gets off to record-setting start

After finishing 12-19 last season, the ‘Canes are looking for a new beginning with the Orange and Green Challenge. The Hurricanes began with a loss to Hofstra, 3-2 but rebounded by knocking off Jacksonville, 3-1, and Butler 3-1.

It was no surprise that the first two points scored by the ‘Canes against Hofstra came from preseason All-ACC player senior Ciara Michel. At the beginning of game one, the ‘Canes had jitters that led to six errors in the opening minutes. The errors set the tone for a game loss 30-26.

Following the entrance of senior Michelle Bruin in game two, the ‘Canes came alive. Miami began a run that the Pride couldn’t recoup and Miami to finished 30-24.

The Hurricanes continued their success in game three, defeating Hofstra 30-21.

The ‘Canes had nine errors in game four that allowed Hofstra to tie the series before winning game five to take the match.

Michel finished with 16 kills and six total blocks. Genny Mayhew achieved a career-high with 19 kills. Cassie Loessberg finished with a team-high 22 digs and her hustle is well deserved. Freshman Katie Gallagher finished with 53 assists and 16 digs in her first college game.

“It was very exciting,” Gallagher said. “Of course I was nervous at the beginning of the game but as the game went on I just played my game.”

The following day, the Hurricanes took on Jacksonville. The ‘Canes looked past their prior disappointment and crushed Jacksonville in games one and two (30-14, 30-24).

Jacksonville came back in game three, but could not clench a second victory and gave up the match to Miami. Loessberg sealed the match with a serving ace to give the Hurricanes their first win this season.

Both Maria Andersson and Mayhew finished the match with 13 kills. Michel ended the match with 12 kills and four total blocks. Junior Bridget Bomhack lead the team with 21 digs. Gallagher finished with a triple double with 40 assist, 19 digs and 11 serving aces.

On Saturday evening, the ‘Canes took on Butler in the final match of the Orange and Green Challange. The Canes stepped up their defense, which enabled them to take game one, 30-21.

Ten errors in game two forced Miami to a loss. The Hurricanes returned with great intensity beating Butler in games three and four (30-28, 30-23).

Michel finished the game with 11 kills and eight blocks. Andersson lead the team with 14 kills and Gallagher had 51 assists.

“I’m impressed with everybody’s play,” Michel said. “I think as a whole our team is coming along really well. We worked really hard in the preseason. It’s really showing on the court. ”
The defense set a school record of 90 digs.

“We have been stressing a lot of work on defense all preseason,” Lantagne Welch said.

Lantagne Welch is confident the Hurricanes’ success will continue this season through teamwork and dedication.

“This is team is extremely close,” Lantagne Welch said. “That’s one of the strengths of [our team]. They bonded really well. They work very well together.”

Lelan LeDoux may be contacted at l.ledoux@umiami.edu.

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry struck out 11 to help lead the Hurricanes to their 10thstraight ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...

Due to inclement weather expected in the area, the Miami baseball program announced game time for Fr ...