Heads or tails?

As I walk out the School of Communication building by artificially tanned legs and gym-made undergrads (not that I have anything against this, I’m just stating facts here), I can’t help but get distracted.

Jamaican sounds are being played on the patio near the food court. The music is soothing and perhaps the only rebel element around a young architecture, forgetful of times past when kings would wage war for the love of a woman or revolutions would start by a vague disrespectful act. It is practical architecture, the utilitarian type-the epicurean type.

Students bop their heads, some with more confidence than others. It is a recollection of brilliant and clueless foreign and national individuals. As if in a carnival and as if I was a young child, I stare with eyes wide open listening to trivial conversations among people leading comfortable lives who frown upon bodily odors and pop-cultural ignorance. Maybe I’m being a judgmental prick. just maybe.

As I get on the Metro, I listen to accentuated Spanish and I see gloomy, rugged faces with an absent sense of hope. I read signs that offer double-digit rewards to voluntary lab rats for the Miller Medical School and underground potential snitches.

The Hurricanes and Colonials square off at noon Saturday in Washington, D.C. ...

University of Miami men's basketball player Chris Stowell is an active member in the Hurricanes ...

Miami director of track and field/cross country Amy Deem's incredible career earned her a place ...