Gearing for a run to the top

In the number one womens’ soccer conference in America, it is hard to make a move as an upstart program. With North Carolina firmly entrenched as the top program in both the Atlantic Coast Conference and the country, and Florida State and Virginia closely trailing, it seems as though the conference has a permanent ruling class. Just don’t tell that to Miami womens’ soccer Head Coach Tricia Taliaferro.

“The big thing that my assistants and I have found is that there are a lot of one goal games in this conference,” Taliaferro said. “We had five games last year where we fell just one goal short. We need attacking personalities, and we need to finish. The team that can find a consistent goal scorer, or even two or three, will be the one that can move to the top.”

Taliaferro thinks that she has found a good blend of talents for her team this year. After seeing the ways in which many contributed in the spring and in fall practice, Taliaferro believes that she has several players with the ability to rise up and take over a game.

“Lauren McAdam, our goalie, will be a big player for us,” she said. “Sheuneen Ta is an attacking midfielder that just played for Great Britain at the World University Games. Brittney MacDonald and Brittney Steinbruch are two freshmen who have stood out.”

The Hurricanes’ 2007 team is made up of half newcomers and half returning players.

While many would think a team that features so many freshmen and newcomers would be a weakness, Taliaferro sees it as an advantage.

“The returners have been embraced the newcomers, and have been very inviting,” Taliaferro said. “We did a lot of work this spring to cement the foundation, and the transition has been smooth.”

This off-field chemistry has translated onto the field in the fall, according to Taliaferro, as was evident when the Hurricanes dismantled Barry University in their exhibition match on Aug. 19, 9-0 . Five different players scored goals, including three newcomers and two veteran team members, proving that the Hurricanes have a range of scorers to be reckoned with this season.

While all seems to be looking up for the ‘Canes, their peers in the ACC do not seem to share the optimism. Miami was picked to finish last in the ACC in the preseason poll organized by the conference. This has not been lost on the coach or on her players.

“Nobody wants to be at the bottom, but we have done a lot and we have goals,” said Taliaferro. “Where we start the preseason is not important, it’s where we finish that matters. The players have embraced the disrespect and have used it as motivation. They are playing with some attitude right now.”

Dan Stein may be contacted at d.stein4@umiami.edu.

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...