Former department chair, James M. Tien, named dean of College of Engineering

The University of Miami has named distinguished researcher James M. Tien dean of the College of Engineering.

Tien received his Ph.D. in systems engineering and operations research from MIT in 1972 and is the recipient of many prestigious teaching and research awards, including a membership to the National Academy of Engineering.

He has served as founding chair in the Department of Decision Sciences and Engineering Systems and professor in the Department of Electrical, Computer and Systems Engineering. Tien said he is excited about his new role.

“With the commitment and support of President Shalala and Provost LeBlanc, I look forward to bringing more focus on those scholarly activities that can unite the academic areas of the University of Miami,” Tien said in a press release.

“I am enthusiastic about this opportunity to amplify the exceptional work of the students and faculty of the College of Engineering as the University itself evolves and excels.”

Tien will assume his post on September 1, replacing M. Lewis Temares.

The Phillip and Patricia Frost School of Music has also appointed a new dean for the fall semester to replace William Hipp. Shelton G. Berg, former McCoy/Sample endowed professor of jazz studies in the Thornton School of Music at the University of Southern California, began his tenure on June 1.

Kelly Herson may be contacted at kelly.herson@gmail.com.

Dewan Huell will be wearing green and orange for at least another year. Huell announced Saturday on ...

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

Alumna and faculty member shares lessons and learning about racial identity in free parent community ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

The Canes wrapped up a stormy weekend at the NCAA East Preliminary with their final two qualifiers f ...

Miami native pulls name out of NBA Draft process. ...

Stormy weather in the Gulf of Mexico may have delayed Friday's competition, but wind and rain c ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were edged by Florida's ...