Fans rally in support of OB

A small but committed group of Hurricane fans met outside the Orange Bowl on Aug. 4, the opening salvo in a last-ditch campaign to save the aged stadium.

Approximately 65 fans gathered to protest the proposed move to Dolphin Stadium, The Miami Herald reported. But according to rally organizer Mike Mangini, the size is deceiving.

“Students and fans have been told since April that this was a ‘done deal,’ that all UM needed to do was sign on the dotted line,” said Mangini, a hospital worker who has owned season tickets at the Orange Bowl since the ’80s. “That detracted a lot of people from getting involved.”

Supporters hung signs from the white iron fence surrounding the stadium and marched along the sidewalk.

Mangini became involved as soon as the idea of moving was first proposed. “I just can’t imagine Miami not playing football in the Orange Bowl. It’s unfathomable.”

Mangini said he would support a move, if it were towards the campus; but tripling the travel time to a game is not a goal.

“Instead of moving forward, towards an on-campus facility, we’re moving backward and away,” he said. “It’s definitely going to hurt down the road.”

Matthew Bunch may be contacted at m.bunch@umiami.edu.

The Hurricanes and Colonials square off at noon Saturday in Washington, D.C. ...

University of Miami men's basketball player Chris Stowell is an active member in the Hurricanes ...

Miami director of track and field/cross country Amy Deem's incredible career earned her a place ...