Fans rally in support of OB

A small but committed group of Hurricane fans met outside the Orange Bowl on Aug. 4, the opening salvo in a last-ditch campaign to save the aged stadium.

Approximately 65 fans gathered to protest the proposed move to Dolphin Stadium, The Miami Herald reported. But according to rally organizer Mike Mangini, the size is deceiving.

“Students and fans have been told since April that this was a ‘done deal,’ that all UM needed to do was sign on the dotted line,” said Mangini, a hospital worker who has owned season tickets at the Orange Bowl since the ’80s. “That detracted a lot of people from getting involved.”

Supporters hung signs from the white iron fence surrounding the stadium and marched along the sidewalk.

Mangini became involved as soon as the idea of moving was first proposed. “I just can’t imagine Miami not playing football in the Orange Bowl. It’s unfathomable.”

Mangini said he would support a move, if it were towards the campus; but tripling the travel time to a game is not a goal.

“Instead of moving forward, towards an on-campus facility, we’re moving backward and away,” he said. “It’s definitely going to hurt down the road.”

Matthew Bunch may be contacted at m.bunch@umiami.edu.

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...