Chartwells expands food options

With more than 35,000 meals per week served to more than 4,300 students, Chartwells and the University of Miami have joined together to provide new and healthy options for students.

In addition to visiting a farmers market or organic food suppliers such as Whole Foods, students can turn to Chartwells for organic and locally grown foods. New additions to nutrition programs include cage-free whole eggs, 100 percent trans fat-free soy oils in cooking, antibiotic-free pork, hamburgers made from natural beef, milk free of rBGH growth hormones (rBGH is a growth hormone injected into lactating cows so that they produce more milk) and locally grown produce such as fruits and vegetables.

By December 2007, pan-fried potatoes, chicken, fish, eggs, cheese and baked cookies, muffins and cakes will all be zero trans-fat.

Chartwell’s brewed coffee is now Fair Trade Certified, a label which benefits farmers and farm workers in developing countries. Also, Chartwells plans to only serve fish that appear on the Monterey Bay Aquarium’s Seafood Watch “Best Choices” list.

“This is a joint effort of the university and Chartwells,” said Mel Tenen, assistant vice president of Auxiliary Services. “It’s a combination of an initiative by Chartwells, and UM expanding on that initiative. We want to be on the leading edge of university food service.”

Chartwells has also expanded the vegetarian concept of Terre Ve, now offering “made to order” food choices.
“We feel that the new program we present will become the framework for a lifetime of healthy eating habits,” Tenen said.
Many students are pleased with the new changes happening to university dining.

“The changes are long overdue,” Ana Griefen, junior, said. “It will set a good example for students and the community.”
Mark Haimes, a junior, is impressed by the direction of university food services.

“They’re going beyond what is required of them and doing a good job at it,” he said. “I’m loving the new food options.”
The members of Dining and Vending Services on campus encourage students to give feedback to Chartwells regarding new ideas and opinions.

“Many changes are a direct result of student feedback,” said Donald Koshis, director of Resident Dining.

More changes are planned for university dining in the upcoming year.

Scheduled for the summer of 2008, Chartwells plans to change the campus convenience store to the Whole U Market, which will offer fresh produce, a full-service kosher deli and organic products.

Ryan Watzel may be contacted at rwatzel@umsis.miami.edu.

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team highlighted its Senior Day with a 4-0 sweep against D ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up the regular season with its sixth straight vict ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team dropped its final Atlantic Coast Conference contest o ...

Frydlova and Grimstad each record 3-over 75 Sunday; Weber leads UM in 12th place. ...

The Hurricanes' rotation saved its best for last. ...