CD Review: Yeah Yeah Yeahs New Release “Is Is” electric

The trio hailing from Brooklyn has once again put themselves on the radar with their recently released “Is Is” [EP]. This effort will leave fans of both “Fever to Hell” and “Show Your Bones” begging for more as the songs effortlessly transition from their initial underdone sound to the more polished layout of the second album. The five-track teaser-teaser because it leaves you stirring in anticipating for the next album-was actually recorded in 2004 while the band toured. The band referred to this time following their first release as one of their most turbulent. Filled with an array of lyrics, some sexually electric while others of a more affecting tone, the songs are highlighted by Karen O’s screeching and enthralling voice. On “Kiss Kiss,” O seems to beg the listener to “everywhere kiss me” as Nick Zinner and Brian Chase supply the tap-along melody that’s consistent throughout Is Is. The opening track of the EP, “Rockers to Swallow,” is the peak song where O delivers her kick-ass screeches and howls that are sure to give anyone goose bumps. The video from the song also offers a unique look as the band is shot live in night vision at a gallery in Brooklyn for an audience that was required to wear Zorro-esque masks. Overall, “Is Is” has a raw quality that will take any listener and carry them into the grimy hole-in-the-wall Williamsburg bars where the band first plugged in. From beginning to end the five song EP will deliver to fans, old or new.

Marcos Col

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

Following a promising performance during the fall portion of the 2017-18 campaign, the University of ...

The University of Miami track and field program travels to Texas this week to compete at the Texas T ...

The Miami women's tennis team will begin its 2018 spring season this weekend on its home court. ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...