Trustee, former state legislator Kenneth Myers, 74

POSTED AUG. 5 AT 1 A.M.

Kenneth Myers, University of Miami trustee and former state legislator, died July 29 due to injuries sustained from a fall. He was 74.

Myers sat on the university’s Board of Trustees for 25 years, in addition to serving as the chairman of the Medical School Board of Overseers.

After earning his law degree at the University of Florida’s School of Law, Myers returned to Miami to work for Myers, Kenin, Levinson & Richards, a law firm founded by his father.

In addition to law, Myers earned his name in politics, representing Miami-Dade County in the Florida Legislature from 1964 to 1980. He later served in the House of Representative for four years and the Senate for 12 years.

University president Donna E. Shalala worked with Myers for six years.

“With Ken, when he made a commitment, he brought to it a passion and an enthusiasm, just good humor about everything he did,” she told The Miami Herald.

Myers is survived by his sister, Judy, his three nieces, two nephews and eight grandnieces and grandnephews.

Karyn Meshbane is the News Editor and may be contacted at k.meshbane@umiami.edu.

Juwan Dowels vividly remembers his first winter on the Syracuse University campus. Like the other 11 ...

The Miami soccer team registered a 3-0 victory over Pittsburgh Thursday night at Cobb Stadium behind ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team will open play Friday at the ITA Southeast Region ...

Here are three matchups to watch Saturday as the Hurricanes take on the Syracuse Orange at Hard Rock ...

The University of Miami men's basketball team will begin the season as No. 12 in the USA TODAY ...