Paul Dee to step down in June 2008

Posted May 8 at 8 p.m.

The University of Miami announced May 9 that Paul Dee, athletic director since 1993, will step down on June 1, 2008.

Dee, who has spent 27 years with the athletic department, plans on joining the faculty at the school.

“I thank him for his extraordinary service to the university,” said UM President Donna E. Shalala in a statement. “His measured, full and thoughtful advice to the leadership of this university has been unmatched.”

Dee has seen the expansion of facilities on campus, from the construction of the BankUnited Center to the ongoing renovations of Mark Light field. The school has also added three women’s sports: rowing, volleyball and soccer.

Dee began his tenure during the school’s probation years and the reemergence at the beginning of this decade. But he and the school have received criticism recently after recent setbacks to the university’s image, such as last season’s football brawl.

The biggest move of his tenure has yet to unfold, as the university has yet to decide on where to play football in the future. The decision, which is likely to be made sometime this month, will likely make the biggest impact on the Dee administration.

Before joining the university, Dee worked at the Miami law firm of Mershon, Sawyer, Johnston, Dunwoody & Cole. He also served as a law clerk for Chief U.S. District Judge Charles Fulton in Miami.

Dee received his Bachelor’s of Arts degree from the University of Florida in 1970, his Master’s of education from the University of Miami in 1973 and his juris doctor degree from UM in 1977.

Matthew Bunch may be contacted at m.bunch@umiami.edu.

The following is a statement released by University of Miami President Donna E. Shalala.

Paul Dee, after 27 years of leadership in two critical positions, first as general counsel, then as athletic director, has decided to step down at the end of the next academic year.

I thank him for his extraordinary service to the university. I’m pleased that he will be joining the faculty and look forward to his continued wise counsel. His measured, full and thoughtful advice to the leadership of this university has been unmatched.

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

The latest edition of Quick Hits introduces middle blocker Bridget Wallenberger ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...