News Briefs: University of Miami chooses new dean of Graduate School

UMNews

University of Miami chooses new dean of Graduate School

Terri A. Scandura, who joined the university in 1990, was recently named Dean of the Graduate School. Currently, Scandura is a professor of management in the School of Business, but with her new role she will oversee more than 5,000 graduate students and 150 various programs in the university’s 12 schools and colleges.

Scandura brings to UM a Ph.D. in organizational behavior from the School of Business Administration at the University of Cincinnati, and years of teaching experience in Executive MBA programs.

In 2006, Scandura was inducted into Iron Arrow Honor Society and she was also honored with the University of Miami School of Business Excellence in Research Award.

ELSEWhere

Former NYC mayor compares past wars with today’s

Travis Robinson // The Battalion (Texas A&M)

(U-WIRE) COLLEGE STATION – Rudolph Giuliani said the War on Terror is the great challenge of this generation and is no less of a feat than World War II was for the greatest generation.

Giuliani, a Republican presidential candidate and the mayor of New York City during the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, spoke about the war on terrorism and the United States’ role in fighting that war as a speaker at Texas A&M University on Friday.

“The best kind of defense is a good offense,” Giuliani said throughout the speech. Giuliani said the biggest problem with the approach to terrorism before the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, was that the United States didn’t realize that terrorists were waging a war against America.

“Sometimes we’d respond, sometimes we wouldn’t,” Giuliani said.

Before Sept. 11, Giuliani said we had a defensive approach to terror.

“We convinced terrorists in the ’70s, ’80s, ’90s that being terrorists was a good-risk reward crime,” he said.

Giuliani opposed the timetable the Democrat-controlled Congress is pushing, saying that their approach to terrorism is tentative and defensive. He said among the first to get it right about handling terrorism is President George W. Bush, because his decision to take an offensive approach to terrorism saved the United States.

“In the long history of war, can you ever remember a time where an army decided to retreat, and then printed up a schedule and handed it to the enemy? Does that make any sense? Does that have any logic to it?” Giuliani asked.

Giuliani also said from his experience of interrogating the Mafia as U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York, he believes in the need for the Patriot Act and the legal yet aggressive use of electronic surveillance.

He said the war is winnable because freedom is the basis of the United States’ power. “I’m an optimist,” he said. “I’m someone who believes the way to focus on America is that America can do it. When your strength comes from freedom, you ultimately defeat those whose impetus comes from oppression.”

ETC.

The University of Miami’s office of International Education and Exchange Programs (IEEP) will move back into Allen Hall 212 starting April 30.

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA Southeast R ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry and freshman Freddy Zamora were among those recognized by the At ...

Senior Jeb Bargfeldt was recognized as ACC Pitcher of the Week following a dominating performance ag ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

Although 17th-year head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews has made Sweet 16 appearances commonplace the jour ...