Miami Herald: Marve out for season

POSTED JULY 18 8:15 P.M.

Freshman recruit Robert Marve suffered an injury to his non-throwing hand in an accident on Alligator Alley early Monday morning, according to The Miami Herald.

The Herald also reported the following: Marve was in the back seat when driver and teammate Jermaine McKenzie, also a freshman, fell asleep at the wheel. The car hit a guardrail and rolled several times before coming to a stop. Marve received lacerations on his left hand.

Authorities charged McKenzie with careless driving. Though he suffered neck injuries, McKenzie’s father, John, said his son will likely resume football activity within the next few months.

Another teammate in the car, sophomore linebacker Colin McCarthy, walked away without any serious injuries.

Florida Highway Patrol said that alcohol was not a factor, the AP reported.

Marve, a recruit out of Tampa Plant High School, was the state’s Mr. Football for 2006, and was expected to be a contender for the team’s starting quarterback position. Now, Marve’s father said his son will likely redshirt for the 2007 season.

Matthew Bunch may be reached at m.bunch@umiami.edu.

Michael Rumph, former Cane cornerback and current cornerbacks coach, has mentioned, along with every ...

N’Kosi Perry, definitely on the quiet side, met the media for the first time on Monday. He’s the Mia ...

On a day in which University of Miami football coach Mark Richt said veteran quarterbacks Malik Rosi ...

Week three of fall camp began today, and the first practice after Saturday’s first scrimmage of camp ...

Researchers use a powerful technique known as Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar to show an in ...

UM’s First Star Academy supports foster care youth. ...