Miami Herald: Marve out for season

POSTED JULY 18 8:15 P.M.

Freshman recruit Robert Marve suffered an injury to his non-throwing hand in an accident on Alligator Alley early Monday morning, according to The Miami Herald.

The Herald also reported the following: Marve was in the back seat when driver and teammate Jermaine McKenzie, also a freshman, fell asleep at the wheel. The car hit a guardrail and rolled several times before coming to a stop. Marve received lacerations on his left hand.

Authorities charged McKenzie with careless driving. Though he suffered neck injuries, McKenzie’s father, John, said his son will likely resume football activity within the next few months.

Another teammate in the car, sophomore linebacker Colin McCarthy, walked away without any serious injuries.

Florida Highway Patrol said that alcohol was not a factor, the AP reported.

Marve, a recruit out of Tampa Plant High School, was the state’s Mr. Football for 2006, and was expected to be a contender for the team’s starting quarterback position. Now, Marve’s father said his son will likely redshirt for the 2007 season.

Matthew Bunch may be reached at m.bunch@umiami.edu.

The attorneys for University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga expect indictments to be ...

Few could have imagined this scenario coming into Saturday’s University of Miami football game at ho ...

Alex Cora’s success hasn’t surprised Miami Hurricanes baseball coach Jim Morris. Cora, according to ...

Behind a historic performance from senior Olga Strantzali, the University of Miami volleyball team b ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami soccer team will conclude its 2017 home slate Sunday against Notre Dame and recognize its ...