Miami Herald: Marve out for season

POSTED JULY 18 8:15 P.M.

Freshman recruit Robert Marve suffered an injury to his non-throwing hand in an accident on Alligator Alley early Monday morning, according to The Miami Herald.

The Herald also reported the following: Marve was in the back seat when driver and teammate Jermaine McKenzie, also a freshman, fell asleep at the wheel. The car hit a guardrail and rolled several times before coming to a stop. Marve received lacerations on his left hand.

Authorities charged McKenzie with careless driving. Though he suffered neck injuries, McKenzie’s father, John, said his son will likely resume football activity within the next few months.

Another teammate in the car, sophomore linebacker Colin McCarthy, walked away without any serious injuries.

Florida Highway Patrol said that alcohol was not a factor, the AP reported.

Marve, a recruit out of Tampa Plant High School, was the state’s Mr. Football for 2006, and was expected to be a contender for the team’s starting quarterback position. Now, Marve’s father said his son will likely redshirt for the 2007 season.

Matthew Bunch may be reached at m.bunch@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...