Journalism professor dies of cancer

Michael B. Salwen, a University of Miami journalism professor, author and husband, died Tuesday after battling cancer for more than six years. He was 53.

Prior to coming to UM, Salwen earned his B.A. in English and psychology from the College of New Jersey, and his M.A. in journalism from The Pennsylvania State University.

During his early twenties, Salwen worked as a reporter for several newspapers in Pennsylvania and New Jersey. He then earned his Ph.D. in mass media from Michigan State University, where he met his wife and fellow UM professor, Okhee Lee-Salwen.

While at Miami, Salwen also worked as the associate editor for Journalism & Mass Communication Quarterly, a publication dedicated to research in the field of journalism and mass media communication.

“What would standout about Michael was his love and dedication to scholarship and research,” said Michel Dupagne, an associate professor of broadcast journalism and close friend of Salwen. “He actually motivated fellow professors to be more productive and keenly interested in research.”

Salwen also authored or co-authored more than 75 book chapters and articles and worked with colleagues on several books, including “Latin American Journalism” and “Online News and the Public.”

“[Michael and I] shared many common interests and concerns and worked well as a team,” said Bruce Garrison, a journalism professor and co-author of “Latin American Journalism.” “I will miss that collegiality almost as much as his personal friendship.”

He is survived by his wife, mother and two brothers. A memorial service for the University of Miami community will take place in mid-August after students and professors return from summer break.

Karyn Meshbane is the News Editor and may be contacted at k.meshbane@umiami.edu.

The attorneys for University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga expect indictments to be ...

Few could have imagined this scenario coming into Saturday’s University of Miami football game at ho ...

Alex Cora’s success hasn’t surprised Miami Hurricanes baseball coach Jim Morris. Cora, according to ...

The Miami soccer team will conclude its 2017 home slate Sunday against Notre Dame and recognize its ...

The Miami soccer team registered a 3-0 victory over Pittsburgh Thursday night at Cobb Stadium behind ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team will open play Friday at the ITA Southeast Region ...

Here are three matchups to watch Saturday as the Hurricanes take on the Syracuse Orange at Hard Rock ...