Hurricanes to leave Orange Bowl

POSTED AUG. 21 AT 10:49 A.M.

Dolphin Stadium will be the new home for Hurricane football, the executive committee of the University of Miami’s Board of Trustees decided Tuesday.

The move follows years of discussing stadium renovations with the city of Miami, the owner of the Orange Bowl, and more recently by talks between the university and Dolphin Stadium owner, H. Wayne Huizinga.

After a long courtship, including a tour of the stadium by Student Government members, the move seemed to be a “done deal” by many. Earlier this month, however, it appeared that the city and the university were moving closer together on a deal. Now the university has committed to the move north.

The university has received criticism from some fans, arguing that the move will create problems getting to and from games. Dolphin Stadium, located at the Dade-Broward County line, is approximately 22 miles away from campus. The Orange Bowl is approximately seven.

Financial considerations were speculated factor for the move, as it is estimated the university could receive $1.5 million annually in additional revenue from concessions, parking and luxury seating, something the school does not receive at the Orange Bowl.

The Hurricanes began playing in the Orange Bowl in 1937, then Burdine Stadium. The NFL’s Miami Dolphins left in 1986 for Dolphin Stadium-formerly Joe Robbie Stadium-and the Orange Bowl game followed in 1995. Left without a tenant, the move would have likely led to the stadium’s demolition.

Matthew Bunch is a Senior Sports Writer may be contacted at m.bunch@umiami.edu.

The Miami Hurricane will feature a special page on the Orange Bowl move on Aug. 27, the first issue of the new academic year. Please be sure to pick up a copy or view the coverage online.

In addition to covering the move and keeping readers updated, The Hurricane encourages all of its readers to weigh in either by commenting on the story, posting a discussion message at www.thehurricaneonline.com/messageboard or sending a letter to the editor.

To send a letter to the editor, please visit thehurricaneonline.com/letters or email letters@themiamihurricane.com.

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Sophomore Evan McKendry rebounded with a dazzling start, and No. 24 Miami handed No. 1 Florida its f ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

No. 24 Miami dropped the second game of a rivalry series with No. 1 Florida Saturday night, falling ...

The Miami women's tennis team got back to its winning ways Saturday afternoon, defeating Georgi ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...