Hollywood assures explosive summer

Spider-Man 3
5.4.07 | Columbia Pictures
This generation’s favorite action hero must face off against his worst nemesis to date: himself. When Spidey’s (Tobey Maguire) suit turns black, possessing him, he begins hurting those he loves the most, even his beloved M.J. (Kirsten Dunst).

Shrek The Third
5.18.07 | Dreamworks
The not-so-little green monster is back in another witty fairytale for all ages. Shrek (Mike Myers) is off on another adventure with friends Donkey (Eddie Murphy) and Puss-and-Boots (Antonio Banderas) to find a new ruler for Far, Far Away. This time Fiona’s (Cameron Diaz) real-life ex, Justin Timberlake joins the star-studded cast.

Pirates of the Caribbean: At the World’s End
5.25.07 | Walt Disney Pictures
Captain Barbosa (Geoffrey Rush) is back from the undead to help Elizabeth (Kiera Knightly) and Will (Orlando Bloom) travel far from the Caribbean, to the ends of the earth (well, Singapore) to rescue their beloved Captain Jack Sparrow (the always wonderfully intoxicated Johnny Depp) from the depths of hell.

Knocked Up
6.1.07 | Universal Pictures
Katharine Heigl stars as soon-to-be single mom Allison Scott alongside “40 Year Old Virgin” sidekick, Seth Rogan, in this comedy about what to do when a one-night stand turns into a lifetime of responsibility. From the director of “Talladega Nights” and “Anchorman.”

Ocean’s Thirteen
6.8.07 | Warner Brothers
All those absolutely delicious conmen are back (George Clooney, Brad Pitt, Matt Damon, et al.), this time joining forces with former foe Terry Benedict (Andy Garcia) to pull an even bigger one over on an even more merciless casino owner, Willy Bank (Al Pacino).

Evan Almighty
6.22.07 | Universal Pictures
Morgan Freeman is back as God, and this time he’s recruited Evan Baxter (Steve Carell) to build an ark (a la Noah) in preparation for this millennium’s great flood. “Gilmore Girls'” Lauren Graham co-stars as Evan’s disbelieving wife.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
7.13.07 | Warner Brothers
Now in his fifth year at Hogwarts, the teenage wizard, Harry Potter (Daniel Radcliff) is recruited by a secret organization to prepare for the return of enemy Lord Voldemort (Ralph Finnes). As always, fans will be anxiously waiting to see if sparks finally fly between Harry and Hermione (Emma Watson).

Hairspray
7.20.07 | New Line Cinema
A movie of a musical of a movie, “Hairspray” is worth it just to see last generation’s leather pants-wearing heartthrob John Travolta in a female fat suit. Travolta plays Edna, the mother of an American Bandstand-esque TV show hopeful, overweight Tracy Turnblad (Nikki Blonsky). Christopher Walken plays the father.

The Simpsons Movie
7.27.07 | 20th Century Fox
America’s favorite politically- incorrect cartoon family is moving to the big screen. Although the plot has yet to be released, it can only be assumed that this full-length version will be just as funny as the small screen version.

El Cantante
8.1.07 | Time Warner
In this biopic, real-life lovers Marc Anthony and Jennifer Lopez star as another set of Spanish-singing real-life lovers from the 1970s, Hector Lavoe and his muse. Does no one learn from past mistakes? (Gigli, Jersey Girl, anyone?)

Also arriving in theaters this summer: 28 Weeks Later, Brooklyn Rules, Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer, Georgia Rule, Good Luck Chuck, Hostel: Part II, Mr. Brooks, Stardust and Transformers.

Dani McNally may be contacted at d.mcnally@umiami.edu.

Lester Williams wasn’t on the field playing for the Miami Hurricanes when they won their first natio ...

An extremely frustrated University of Miami football coach Mark Richt began his media availability b ...