History professor dies after battle with illness

POSTED JULY 6, 11:30 P.M.

Edward L. Dreyer, distinguished Chinese military historian and University of Miami professor, died June 30 after battling a long illness. He was 66.

Dreyer began teaching at UM in 1970 after receiving his B.A., M.A. and PhD degrees from Harvard University.

He also worked actively in the UM community as a member of several administrative committees in the College of Arts and Sciences and as a long-time senator in the Faculty Senate.

“[Dreyer was] always willing to devote time and energy to important issues in the life of the university,” said Stephen Sapp, a professor and chair of religious studies, who worked with Dreyer in the Faculty Senate. “We will definitely miss him.”

In addition to his professorship, Dreyer has also authored several books. His most recent, “Zheng He: China and the Oceans in the Early Ming, 1405-1433,” was published in the Library of World Bibliography Series.

Dreyer is survived by wife and UM political science professor, June Teufel Dreyer, their two children and three grandchildren.

Karyn Meshbane is the News Editor and may be contacted at k.meshbane@umiami.edu.

Miami director of track and field/cross country Amy Deem's incredible career earned her a place ...

Check out the latest edition of Hurricane Magazine. ...

Members from the Miami track and field team spent the afternoon at the Boys and Girls Club in Miami ...

UM administrators, coaches and alums took part in yesterday's allCanes Holiday Shopping Spree f ...