History professor dies after battle with illness

POSTED JULY 6, 11:30 P.M.

Edward L. Dreyer, distinguished Chinese military historian and University of Miami professor, died June 30 after battling a long illness. He was 66.

Dreyer began teaching at UM in 1970 after receiving his B.A., M.A. and PhD degrees from Harvard University.

He also worked actively in the UM community as a member of several administrative committees in the College of Arts and Sciences and as a long-time senator in the Faculty Senate.

“[Dreyer was] always willing to devote time and energy to important issues in the life of the university,” said Stephen Sapp, a professor and chair of religious studies, who worked with Dreyer in the Faculty Senate. “We will definitely miss him.”

In addition to his professorship, Dreyer has also authored several books. His most recent, “Zheng He: China and the Oceans in the Early Ming, 1405-1433,” was published in the Library of World Bibliography Series.

Dreyer is survived by wife and UM political science professor, June Teufel Dreyer, their two children and three grandchildren.

Karyn Meshbane is the News Editor and may be contacted at k.meshbane@umiami.edu.

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he didn’t hesitat ...

1. DOLPHINS: Miami seeks revenge vs. hated, Stinkin' Jets: Dolphins host Jets Sunday with Miami ...

Notes and observations on UM’s 27-19 win against Syracuse: • A UM source said Mark Richt seemed more ...

View photos from the Syracuse at Miami game Saturday, Oct. 21, 2017, at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami G ...

The Miami women's tennis team split its eight matches on its second day of competition at the I ...

Syracuse visits Miami on Saturday, October 21st at Hard Rock Stadium. ...