Baseball: Hurricanes to face rival Seminoles at home

The Miami Hurricanes’ baseball team will host the Florida State Seminoles this weekend in what is, annually, the biggest series on their schedules.

The Seminoles, ranked No. 1 or 2 depending upon which poll one looks at, arrive with arguably their strongest team of the past decade, albeit without the type of superstar who has come to typify their program in the past.

“They’re having a great year and they’re a very solid club,” Head Coach Jim Morris said. “Hopefully we’ll be ready. It has been a big series for a long time, no matter who’s ranked lower or higher, but this might be their best team in the past fifteen years. They’re a veteran club and they win.”

Florida State leads the ACC in team batting average and has been able to score the most runs in conference, without a true power bat in the lineup, instead producing runs very efficiently.

“Florida State can hit,” Morris said. “They’re hitting about .365 as a team and we don’t have an individual player hitting that high. They’re very solid, and we’ll have to have all three aspects to win: pitching, defense and timely defense.”

While Florida State has won by employing small-ball this season, the ‘Canes have relied upon the very stout midsection in their order to drive in runs with extra base hits and homeruns. Sophomore sluggers Yonder Alonso and Dennis Raben have been mashing as of late, as both have now climbed into the double digits in the homerun category, with 11 and 10 respectively.

The ‘Canes clicked on all cylinders last weekend against Virginia Tech, putting up 20 runs, on Friday and Sunday combined, and winning a pitcher’s duel on Saturday night. It will take that kind of all around performance again this weekend in order to beat the Seminoles.

“We’re going to have to do the small things right,” Raben said. “We are going to have to play good bunt defense, make good pitches, turn double plays when we can and eliminate the big innings because they are going to be trying to put pressure on us.”

The ferocity of this rivalry, over the years, has always leveled the playing field. It was Miami who went to Tallahassee last year, as a major underdog, and emerged with the series win. The Seminoles have not taken a series from the ‘Canes since 2003.

Last weekend’s sweep has the ‘Canes in prime position to make a run up the ACC and National standings with a strong finish to the regular season. This weekend represents the beginning of the stretch that could play a large role in determining the postseason seeding of this Hurricane team.

“We feel good,” Raben said. “We are coming off a good conference sweep. We have a lot of confidence, and the excitement is up. Everyone is pumped up for this weekend, and we’ll get right back in the standings.”

Dan Stein may be contacted at d.stein4@umiami.edu

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry struck out 11 to help lead the Hurricanes to their 10thstraight ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...