Weird News: New Zealand plans to fill volcano with human waste

New Zealand plans to fill volcano with human waste

New Zealand has come up with a new idea for getting rid of tons of human waste without having to create new landfills: Auckland plans on filling one of its many extinct volcanoes with sewage. Watercare Services has signed a $25 million, 30-year deal with Puketutu Island owners to dump 61 tons of biosolids produced by the Mangere treatment plant each week. Not to worry though, the dried human waste will be cleaned and treated before being dumped on a side of the volcanic island that has been desolate in the past 50 years. Auckland University volcano-ologist Ian Smith said Aucklanders need not be concerned that they would be showered in “biosolids” in the event of an eruption.

New Technology allows changing other people’s ring tone

Emotive’s new product, the patent-pending “Push Ringer,” reverses the common ring tone model by enabling a caller to push an outgoing ring tone to the receiving phone; allowing the caller, not the called person, to set the tone. The chosen ringer is transmitted to the recipient’s handset and temporarily overrides the phone’s pre-set ringer but the called person has the option of purchasing the new ring tone if they like it. Emotive hopes this technology will help make calls more personalized and since its launch on Skype’s VOIP network in 2006, Push Ringer (known to Skype users as “Ringjacker”) has been installed more than 800,000 times.

Japanese mothers turn lunchboxes into WORKS OF ART

Using tweezers, razor knives, and digital cameras, Japanese house moms everywhere are joining in the new craze of creating a unique culinary style of school lunches. For example, rice gets colored with egg yolks into the shape of a dinosaur, eyes are made of sliced cheese and strips of seaweed and star-shaped pieces of okra adorn the belly. Lunch-box art marries the age-old Japanese appreciation for precision and aesthetics with the country’s modern, shrinking, affluent nuclear family, where fewer children mean moms have more time and money to lavish on their little emperors. Nursery schools typically require children to bring home-cooked lunches and some wives make them for husbands. Housewives have taken their lunchbox exhibitions online, where Internet journals feature up-to-date photos of the latest works.

-Compiled by Martamaria Gomez

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...

Lonnie Walker IV scored 19 points, but it wasn't enough as the Canes fell to the Blue Devils at ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...