Sports Briefs

Men’s and Women’s Tennis: Cohen, D’Agord, others honoered by ACC

The nation’s top-ranked player, junior Audra Cohen, was awarded her second straight Atlantic Coast Conference Women’s Tennis Player of the Year honor. Joining Cohen on the list of honors are senior Audrey Banada and freshman Laura Vallverdu, who earned spots on the All-ACC Women’s Tennis Team.

On the men’s side, senior Luigi D’Agord captured his second straight Atlantic Coast Conference Men’s Tennis Player of the Year honor. Joining D’Agord on the men’s side was sophomore Daniel Vallverdu, who tallied his second straight All-ACC Men’s Tennis Team honor.

Women’s Tennis: Miami advances to semifinals

The No. 4-seeded Miami Hurricanes’ women’s tennis squad advanced to the semifinals of the ACC Championships. The Lady Hurricanes out-dueled No. 5-seeded Florida State 4-3, on their way to facing No. 1-seeded Clemson.

The Hurricanes grabbed the doubles point behind good play from the pairs of Audra Cohen and Laura Vallverdu and Audrey Banada and Gina Sabatino. The Hurricanes also got singles wins from Cohen, Banada and Sabatino.

Men’s Tennis: Hurricanes fall to Virginia

The University of Miami Hurricanes’ men’s tennis team’s run at the ACC Championships ended when they faced off against Virginia. The No. 8-seeded Hurricanes started the tournament with a first round matchup against Georgia Tech.

The Hurricanes downed the No. 9-seeded Yellow Jackets 4-3, behind strong singles play from Luigi D’Agord, Daniel Vallverdu and Josh Cohen. Besides picking up points for each singles win, the Hurricanes also won the doubles point, as the doubles pairs of D’Agord and Cohen and J.C. Whitner and Hector Nieto both captured wins.

The second round was not so friendly to the Hurricanes, as they faced No. 1-seeded Virginia. The quarterfinals saw the Hurricanes downed 4-1. The Hurricanes lost the doubles point, as only Hector Nieto and J. C. Whitner picked up a win.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

After this past University of Miami football game, coach Mark Richt said the crowd came alive during ...

The attorneys for University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga expect indictments to be ...

Few could have imagined this scenario coming into Saturday’s University of Miami football game at ho ...

Alex Cora’s success hasn’t surprised Miami Hurricanes baseball coach Jim Morris. Cora, according to ...

Behind a historic performance from senior Olga Strantzali, the University of Miami volleyball team b ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami soccer team will conclude its 2017 home slate Sunday against Notre Dame and recognize its ...