Search for Hipp replacement

The search for a new dean for the Frost School of Music began in September 2006 following Dean William Hipp’s announcement of his plans to retire after serving in the post since 1983.

A search committee was put together of six faculty members and one student from the school of music, one from the drama department and one from engineering. Michael Halleran, dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, heads the committee.

A search firm was also enlisted to find candidates. President Donna E. Shalala and Provost Thomas LeBlanc will make the final decision.

“The music school at UM is one of the best in the country,” Halleran said. “Dean Hipp has done a lot to make it what it is, so you want someone who can retain the level it’s at now, but also help the school move forward.”

Halleran declined to comment on the strongest contenders, but a recent Miami Herald article confirmed music critic and author Tim Page as one of the four finalists.

Although Hipp has met with all the finalists, he is not playing a role in the selection process.

Halleran said he was unsure of when to expect an announcement regarding the final selection, but said he “fully anticipates a decision to be made before next semester.”

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Sophomore Evan McKendry rebounded with a dazzling start, and No. 24 Miami handed No. 1 Florida its f ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

No. 24 Miami dropped the second game of a rivalry series with No. 1 Florida Saturday night, falling ...

The Miami women's tennis team got back to its winning ways Saturday afternoon, defeating Georgi ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...