Sports Briefs

Men’s Tennis: ‘Canes unable to take care of business

The men’s tennis team ended their regular season with a loss to the No. 24 NC State Wolfpack. The loss was the fifth in six tries for the ‘Canes, and it lowered the team to 10-12 on the season and 5-6 in ACC play.

The Hurricanes started out by taking the doubles point, behind victories from the No. 1 doubles position of Luigi D’Agord and Josh Cohen and the No. 3 doubles position of Hector Nieto and J.C. Whitner. Despite this, the ‘Canes were outdueled in singles play, as only D’Agord and Barnabas Carrega could manage to pull out wins.

Women’s Golf: ‘Canes finish up at ACC Championships

The University of Miami women’s golf team concluded play at the 2007 ACC Championships, finishing in eighth place.

As a team, the Hurricanes shot a first round 325, a second round 315 and a third round 324. Junior Jessica Steward led the way for the Hurricanes, as she fired a 233. Following her were Tiffany Prats with 236, Hagen Weintraub with 244, Anabelle Paulino with 251 and Josie Shinn with 273.

Recruiting: Women’s basketball hard at work

The University of Miami women’s basketball program and Head Coach Katie Meier recently signed Vitalija Vasciunaite, Latoya Drake and Diane Barnes to National Letter of intent to play next season.

Vasciunite is a shooting guard from Virginia who averaged 21.1 points, 4.7 rebounds and 2.7 assists, as she led her team to a 22-2 record. Additionally, Vasciunite is part of the Lithuanian national team. Drake is a transfer from Florida Community College in Jacksonville. Last season, she earned Honorable Mention All-America Team honors. The forward/center averaged 19.6 points, 9.0 rebounds and 1.4 steals per game. Barnes, a transfer from Trinity Valley Community College in Texas, is a 6-2 forward averaging better than 10 points per game.

With the signing of these three athletes, the signing of three athletes earlier in November and some veteran leadership coming back, the Hurricanes look poised to have a strong season.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he didn’t hesitat ...

1. DOLPHINS: Miami seeks revenge vs. hated, Stinkin' Jets: Dolphins host Jets Sunday with Miami ...

Notes and observations on UM’s 27-19 win against Syracuse: • A UM source said Mark Richt seemed more ...

View photos from the Syracuse at Miami game Saturday, Oct. 21, 2017, at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami G ...

Kolby Bird had a career-high 21 kills, but the Hurricanes dropped a five-set battle to Notre Dame on ...

The Miami soccer team recognized its four seniors Sunday afternoon and then dropped a hard-fought 2- ...