Players, team react to tragedy

While the Miami Hurricane baseball team prepares for another tough weekend on the road in the ACC this weekend, one cannot help but notice a somewhat distracted mood in the dugout. Needless to say, the tragedy that took place on Monday at Virginia Tech, in which a student opened fire on classmates and professors, has left some players pondering things other than baseball.

“Our prayers and thoughts are with them,” first baseman Yonder Alonso said. “It is just so hard to believe. I am sure their guys are thinking about it today and will be for the rest of the year. It is one of the worst things that ever happened in the country, so it is hard to deal with.”

While the ‘Canes will travel to Blacksburg for a three game series this weekend, it is clear that the events have now become somber, and once again the role of sports as a healing power in America will be taken on.

“It is hard for them to have to deal with it, but I feel like one of the best things is to play the game,” Alonso said.

The kinship felt between ballplayers at any two schools is generally strong, but this series is full of personal connections.

Alonso said that he is good friends with the Hokies’ catcher and sent him an email as soon as he heard what had happened. The situation also hit home for starting pitcher Enrique Garcia, who said that he has close friends at the school whom he was frightened for.

However, Garcia seems to share Alonso’s opinion, which also seems to be the team consensus, that the series is a good thing.

“I am excited for the series,” Garcia said. “I think it will definitely help to play, not just for the players, but as a nice distraction for the whole community.”

Head Coach Jim Morris will present a signed banner and $10,000 check for the Hokie Spirit Memorial Fund. The team is also having special wristbands made for the series and will travel with extra security.

Dan Stein may be reached at d.stein4@umiami.edu.

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Arkansas State University followed through with its threat. ASU on Friday afternoon filed a lawsuit ...

A UM appeals committee has modified the athletic department’s rules restricting departing quarterbac ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

CORAL GABLES, Fla. – No. 24 Miami raced out to an early lead but could not finish off a weekend swee ...

Freshman first baseman Alex Toral recorded his first home run as a Hurricane, and No. 24 Miami held ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming & diving team saved its best for last, finishing off the ACC Swimm ...

The No. 25 University of Miami women's golf team heads to New Orleans this Sunday to compete in ...