Lake Osceola event follows Shalala affirming commitment to environment

Sporting bright orange T-shirts, hundreds of University of Miami students, faculty, and staff “hugged” Lake Osceola at the center of campus early Wednesday afternoon. A strand of approximately 500 people joined hands and stretched to cover nearly the entire perimeter of the lake.

Before surrounding the lake, the group congregated on the UC Patio, where President Donna E. Shalala signed two environmental documents. By signing the Talloires Declaration and the Presidents Climate Commitment, Shalala hopes to “lead the way for other universities.”

“My signatory today is to commit all of us-not just the president of the university, all of us-to make sure we follow best practices wherever we are on this earth,” she said.

A burst of applause marked Shalala’s signature of the documents, which have been signed by hundreds of other university presidents and chancellors to symbolize commitment to environmental sustainability.

Student organizations Earth Alert, Greenpeace UM, the Marine and Atmospheric Science Honor Society, Sustainable U and Society of Scientists were present

Jenny Burrows of Sustainable U was pleased with the day’s events but wants students to continue actively supporting the environment. She added that students should be more mindful of limiting use of water and electricity in on-campus housing.

“They don’t pay for it, so they’re not seeing how much they’re actually wasting,” she said.

After students hugged the lake, photographers stationed atop Hecht Residential College’s McDonald Tower documented the event and Shalala was handed a microphone for closing remarks.

“Let’s do something special for our friends at Virginia Tech,” she said.

In honor of the university recently struck by tragedy, Shalala led a hearty “Let’s Go Hokies” cheer that echoed across the lake.

Afterwards, the large group filed back to the patio, where they were served pizza as university mascot Sebastian circulated, offering thumbs-up to the participants.

Hunter Umphrey may by contact at humphrey@miami.edu.

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...