Editorial: Absolute campus security impossible, but UM moving in right direction

As reality sets in after the shock of Monday’s terrible shooting at Virginia Tech, another issue has already come up, which we all would do good to address immediately.

The issue, of course, is campus security. One can debate for hours whether or not Va. Tech’s administration did enough to protect the students that fateful morning, but there is no question students should be protected.

College campuses are like their own little world-they are microcosms that, quite simply, operate on their own plane. University students and faculty operate on their own schedules, through their own methods, based on their own values and with their own sets of characters, players, movers and shakers. Considering this, it is easy to forget that college campuses are not actually physically removed from the world and, as such, are at least as vulnerable to the dangers, sorrow and violence that go with it (perhraps even more so, due to their open and accessible nature).

Thus, a dilemma: Adding too much security, or restricting movement, would eliminate the openness and warmth of campus grounds, severely detracting from the atmosphere and choking the general freedoms the university environment is supposed to facilitate. At the same time, it was this very openness that helped enable Cho Seung-Hui to not only kill 32 students, and eventually himself, but also to have the time to mail one final message to NBC in between the two shootings.

Unfortunately, as much as is done to bolster security, one must come to the realization that there will always be people driven over the edge and this type of crime is, realistically, unpreventable. As long as firearms exist, so will disturbed people who will want to and be able to use them in terrible ways. However, it is possible to minimize the damage caused by these types of shootings in many ways.

Thankfully, the university has taken all the necessary steps at this time to reevaluate and update their security plans. One area in particular is commmunications. The importance of communicating with students and others was made starkly clear in Blacksburg Monday and UM should be applauded for looking into every means available to notify students in a crisis situation.

Overshadowing most of the other methods is the hope that all students will register their cell phone number on MyUM in order to receive instantaneous alerts, via a recording and hopefully soon by text messaging. But this plan is wholly dependent on the students’ participation. The Hurricane would even go so far as to say the university should require students to submit a number, with special exceptions for those without cell phones. A campus-wide PA system would be highly effective, as well, similar to those in the dorms.

As the affected and the nation start to heal, it is time to also look forward and do what we can to avert another tragedy of such proportions. It is not an easy task, but the above suggestions are a good start at making our campuses safer, while not compromising

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...