Sports Briefs

Men’s Track and Field: Strong showing at Miami Elite

The Hurricanes’ men’s track and field team recorded two first place finishes and five top-three finishes at the Miami Elite Invitational.

Senior Jon Scheiner led the way with a first place finish in the 3,000-meters. Junior Michael Dolan finished in first place in the hammer throw, while freshman Virgil Romer finished in third.

Junior Casey McGinn finished in second place in the pole vault, while the Hurricanes finished third in the 4X100 meter relay.

Next up for the ‘Canes is the 2007 ACC Outdoor Track and Field Championships.

Coaching: Deem named Team USA Coach

Women’s track and field Head Coach Amy Deem will serve as the head coach for Team USA at the 2007 IAAF World Outdoor Track and Field Championships.

Deem has been at Miami for 17 seasons, and in those 17 seasons has led the Lady ‘Canes to 12 conference championships and 10 individual national championships.

“This is a great honor,” Deem said. “To say that I feel extremely privileged to be given the opportunity to work with such an amazing group of athletes and help represent our country would be an understatement.”

Women’s Track and Field: ‘Canes dominate at Miami Elite

The women’s track and field team dominated the 2007 Miami Elite Invitational. The Lady ‘Canes tallied up five first place finishes and 10 top-three finishes.

Junior Khadija Talley continued her domination, as she collected first place finishes in the shot put and the discus. Freshman Deandra Doyley took first in the long jump.

In the triple jump, senior Brenda Faluade finished in first with an NCAA Regional qualifying mark. In the 800-meter, senior Ginou Etienne finished a hair before sophomore teammate Ena Leufroy, as they claimed first and second, respectively. Both finished with NCAA Regional qualifying marks.

Sophomore Kaitlin Nazario recorded a third place finish in the javelin throw. The women’s 4X100 meter and the women’s 4X400 meter relay teams recorded respective third place finishes.

Next up is the 2007 ACC Outdoor Track and Field Championships.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...