News Briefs

UMNews

BankUnited Center ranked second among best Florida venues

“National Magazine” recently reported that the BankUnited Center has ranked second among Florida facilities of its size and was only out-performed by one other venue for touring and concert events during the previous year.

The BankUnited Center received notoriety in 2006 after selling out concerts by Andre Rieu and Fall Out Boy. This year, the center hosted two back-to-back concerts: The Fray and John Mayer, both of which were sold out.

Global Spectrum, the public assembly facility management firm that books events at the BUC, has confirmed the Billboard Latin Music Awards as the next event at the BUC on April 26.

“We are extremely proud of what Global Spectrum has been able to do for the University of Miami by bringing top-notch entertainment and quality performances to our students, our staff, our alumni and the surrounding region,” said Mel Tenen, assistant vice president of auxiliary services, in a press release.

ELSEWhere

HPV vaccine may be extended to men

JASON KOEBLER // The Diamondback (U. Maryland)

(U-WIRE) COLLEGE PARK – Growing concerns about the spread of human papillomavirus (HPV) may lead to a vaccine available for women to be administered to men.

Due to the popularity of Gardasil, the HPV vaccine for women, its manufacturer is now researching a male version of the vaccine. The male option, which would be identical to the current vaccine, may be approved by the Food and Drug Administration as early as 2008, said Janet Skidmore, director of Merck media relations.

“There are currently clinical trials being conducted around the U.S. that are sponsored by Merck,” Skidmore said. “The initial results are promising.”

While generally considered a benign virus in men, HPV can cause genital warts and possibly lead to penile and anal cancer, studies say. The vaccine would be marketed toward gay and bisexual men, who are particularly at risk, according to Skidmore.

Gardasil has been encouraged in women because some HPV strains can cause cervical cancer. Every year, about 10,000 women are diagnosed with cervical cancer, and almost 4,000 women die from the disease, according to the National Cancer Institute.

Every year, about 6.2 million Americans acquire a genital HPV infection. Among sexually active men, 1 percent are estimated to have genital warts, but often the symptoms of HPV are not visible, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention say.

Currently, there is not even a public test for HPV available for males with the disease.

ETC.

The State of Florida is eliminating its binding early admission programs and limiting the application deadline to mid-November instead of providing three deadline options (previously: Oct. 1, Nov. 1 and Jan. 16). The decision came in response to criticism that binding programs favor wealthier applicants.

Daniela Deu was drawn to both architecture and urbanism, believes architecture can change communitie ...

Canes Basketball player development assistant will graduate with MSED in Sport Administation. ...

UOnline graduate will earn his M.S. in Health Informatics ...

Seeking a college experience within a diverse community, this graduate found her home away from home ...