UM student receives debate award

Jodie Barkin, a senior and captain of the debate team, was recently honored as one of 30 members of the Scholastic All-American Debate Team at the Cross Examination Debate Association National Championship, which took place March 20 at the University of Oklahoma.

The membership is awarded based on a debaters’ balance of academic achievement and community service. Barkin has thrived in both these areas while at UM.

Barkin, who is studying political science, plans to go to the Miller School of Medicine as a member of the Medical Scholars Program upon graduation. The Medical Scholars Program is a seven- to eight-year program offered to UM students with at least a 3.7 GPA.

Barkin helps coordinate the Miami-Dade Urban Debate League High School Tournaments, interning at the Center for Ethics and Public Service at UM’s Law School and working as a teaching assistant.

Barkin told The Miami Hurricane that he could not have achieved the award without the help of Dave Steinberg, a lecturer at the School of Communication and the debate team’s adviser.

Not sure of what he wants to do in the future, Barkin expressed interest in orthopedics and sports medicine and eventually a career in civil or public service.

Compiled by Karyn Meshbane

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

He used to be a Gator. But junior Danny Reyes is plenty happy to be back home and playing for the Un ...

It’s a Wednesday morning, and one by one, the familiar Hurricane faces make their way into the non-d ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team moved into a sixth-place tie on day two ...

After a standout first weekend at the plate with the No. 24 Hurricanes, Miami's Danny Reyes was ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

Former University of Miami track and field standouts Shakima Wimbley and Tiffany Okieme were among t ...