UM student receives debate award

Jodie Barkin, a senior and captain of the debate team, was recently honored as one of 30 members of the Scholastic All-American Debate Team at the Cross Examination Debate Association National Championship, which took place March 20 at the University of Oklahoma.

The membership is awarded based on a debaters’ balance of academic achievement and community service. Barkin has thrived in both these areas while at UM.

Barkin, who is studying political science, plans to go to the Miller School of Medicine as a member of the Medical Scholars Program upon graduation. The Medical Scholars Program is a seven- to eight-year program offered to UM students with at least a 3.7 GPA.

Barkin helps coordinate the Miami-Dade Urban Debate League High School Tournaments, interning at the Center for Ethics and Public Service at UM’s Law School and working as a teaching assistant.

Barkin told The Miami Hurricane that he could not have achieved the award without the help of Dave Steinberg, a lecturer at the School of Communication and the debate team’s adviser.

Not sure of what he wants to do in the future, Barkin expressed interest in orthopedics and sports medicine and eventually a career in civil or public service.

Compiled by Karyn Meshbane