UM Police remind you that theft of unattended and unsecured property is the number one crime on campus!

Each month, 50-80% of all crime that occurs on the Coral Gables campus involves the theft of unattended or unsecured property. Simple, non-confrontational theft is generally categorized as a “crime of opportunity.” Most crimes of opportunity are committed by amateur criminals or the generally law-abiding citizen who see an opportunity and thinks he/ she can take advantage without being caught. The simple solution is to remove the opportunity by not leaving property unattended or unsecured, not even for “one minute.” If your property is not immediately in your possession, lock it. In addition, do not leave dorm room doors open or unlocked if you are not in the room. It takes less than 7 seconds for someone to enter a room, steal a laptop or other property, and calmly walk away. To combat simple theft, the UM Police Department currently runs several programs including a free engraving program, free DataDot program, free bicycle lock program, free bicycle registry program, discounted anti-theft device program, theft awareness information program, and several others. Further information on theft reduction programs and crime prevention is available at www.miami.edu/police, or through the UMPD Crime Prevention Office at (305) 284-1105.

When UM coach Mark Richt summoned quarterback Malik Rosier into his office last year, a few months a ...

Quarterback Malik Rosier of the No. 8-ranked Miami Hurricanes maintains a solid third place in what ...

University of Miami head coach Mark Richt was selected to the 20-member Paul "Bear" Bryant ...

University of Miami sophomore Bruce Brown Jr. was among 21 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

Head coach Katie Meier and senior forward/center Erykah Davenport will represent Miami Thursday at t ...