Tennis: Men’s team has mixed results in weekend ACC matches

VALLVERDU RETURNS, Men Split Weekend

Coming off two disappointing defeats on their trip to Tobacco Road, the No.37 University of Miami men’s tennis team returned home and lost 5-2 to No. 3 Virginia, in a hard fought match, before bouncing back to beat No. 30 Virginia Tech 4-3. With the win, the Hurricanes improved to 10-10 overall and 5-4 in the dangerous ACC.

“Virginia Tech was a match we had to win, especially since the end of our ACC schedule is really tough,” Head Coach Mario Rincon said. “It was important for us to capitalize and compete at the higher level.”

‘Canes senior All-American Luigi D’Agord remains undefeated in ACC play, winning both of his matches this weekend in straight sets. No. 4 singles player Vivek Subramanian also came up big for Miami, joining D’Agord as the only Hurricane to win a singles match against the Cavaliers on Friday.

“Vivek has his highs and his lows, but when he hits his highs he can beat anybody,” Rincon said. “He really brings a spark to this team and is just a lot of fun to coach and watch.”

Sophomore All-American Daniel Vallverdu completed his first singles match since returning from an ankle injury and pulled out a great victory over Virginia Tech’s Albert Larregola. With the teams deadlocked at 3-3, Vallverdu dropped the first set but was able to bounce back to win in three to clinch the victory for the Hurricanes.

“I was amazed at the high level Danny played at, especially for three hours on such a hot day,” Rincon said. “He has a lot of heart and is a great competitor.”

Miami will finish their regular season play this weekend with two road matches against No. 11 Wake Forest and No. 20 North Carolina State.

Senior star Josh Cohen, who is currently one doubles win shy of the school record for career victories (81), will look to break it playing alongside D’Agord.

As a team, however, the Hurricanes will have to prove they can win on the road if they hope to defend last year’s ACC championship.

“At this point, we know that UNC and Virginia are out of reach,” Rincon said. “We want to position ourselves this weekend for a four seed in the ACC Tournament.”

Women upset in both weekend matches

The women’s tennis team’s trip to Tobacco Road was no more successful than the men’s, as they lost both of their matches to No. 21 Duke and No. 14 North Carolina this weekend. The No. 9 Hurricanes fell to 15-5 overall and 6-3 in conference play.

The ‘Canes are led by the No. 1 ranked player in the nation, junior Audra Cohen, who managed to win both of her matches as she improved to 29-1 on the season.

In the Duke match, the Hurricanes took a 3-2 lead, but Miami’s No. 3 and No. 4 singles players Romy Farah and Gina Sabatino were unable to seal the victory, and the Blue Devils took the match 4-3.

On Sunday, the ‘Canes had no answer for the Tar Heels as they fell 5-2. Along with Cohen, No. 3 singles player Laura Vallverdu was the only other Miami player to win, as she downed UNC’s Caitlin Collins in straight sets.

Miami has struggled on the road during conference play, winning only one of the four games they have played away from Coral Gables, Fla. Despite this seemingly disappointing statistic, all of their road losses are to top 25 teams. Of the ACC’s 12 teams, seven are in the top 25, making it the toughest conference in the country.

The ‘Canes will close out the regular season this weekend with two home matches against Maryland on Friday and Boston College on Sunday.

Zack Loss may be contacted at z.loss@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami women's track team kicked off the 2018 ACC Indoor Championships with a ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

The Hurricanes fell in their final road game of the season, 70-51, at Georgia Tech. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...