Sports Briefs

Baseball: Walk off victory

It took a bottom of the tenth inning rally for the Miami Hurricanes to defeat the Florida International University Golden Panthers, but the Hurricanes did get the job done.

The Golden Panthers were done in by a pair of freshmen, as third baseman Mark Sobolewski’s two-run homerun and shortstop Ryan Jackson’s two-out game-winning single in the bottom of the tenth helped the ‘Canes overcome the Golden Panthers 10-9. Additionally, sophomore Yonder Alonso put together yet another strong performance for the Hurricanes.

Pitcher Danny Gil picked up the win on one inning’s work, despite allowing two players to cross home plate in the top of the tenth.

Track and Field: Hurricanes Complete Florida Relays

The University of Miami track and field squads are sizzling, especially the women’s squad. At the recent Florida Relays, senior Brenda Faluade took first place in the long jump, while setting a new school record mark of 6.53 meters. In the same competition, senior Amy Seward placed second, and sophomore Viktoria Andonova finished fourth. Additionally, senior Ginou Etienne took second in the 400-meters, while sophomore Krista Simkins finished sixth. Also, junior Khadija Talley earned a first place finish in the discuss, while junior Kaitlin Nazario took second in the javelin.

The UM 4X400-meter relay team finished fourth. The success of the squad has propelled them to 14th in the latest Coaches’ Poll.

On the men’s side, the 4X800-meter relay team finished second overall.

Swimming and Diving: Dreyer competes at World Championships

Junior Jenna Dreyer of the University of Miami recently competed in the 2007 World Championships in Melbourne, Australia. A native of Port Elizabeth, South Africa, Dreyer competed for the South African team.

Dreyer put together an impressive showing, as she finished 13th in the one-meter springboard preliminary and 23th in the three-meter preliminary.

After her run at the Worlds, Dreyer will get set to compete at the USA Diving International Grand Prix at the Fort Lauderdale Aquatic Complex from May 9th – 13th.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

When UM coach Mark Richt summoned quarterback Malik Rosier into his office last year, a few months a ...

Quarterback Malik Rosier of the No. 8-ranked Miami Hurricanes maintains a solid third place in what ...

University of Miami head coach Mark Richt was selected to the 20-member Paul "Bear" Bryant ...

University of Miami sophomore Bruce Brown Jr. was among 21 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

Head coach Katie Meier and senior forward/center Erykah Davenport will represent Miami Thursday at t ...