Shalala: No decision yet on stadium

The University of Miami has been dragging its feet on the future of the Orange Bowl, President Donna E. Shalala told the Student Government Senate at the first meeting of their new term Wednesday.

“I love the Orange Bowl,” Shalala said, adding that she hopes to keep the Hurricanes’ at the stadium, but that the university has been talking to Dolphin Stadium and Florida Marlins officials about other possibilities.

She emphasized that she is undecided on whether or not to stay or go, but said the ‘Canes will definitely play there in the fall.

Shalala told the SG Senate she was not there to ask for money and she will not raise the student athletic fee-only for cost of living increases. Moreover, she also raised the question of whether or not playing six homes games each year warrants taxpayers footing the bill, possibly as much as $200 million, the city announced two weeks ago.

There will be no decision in the next two weeks, Shalala said, but it will likely come after students have left for summer break. The president emphasized that such timing is not being done to go behind students backs and said she would student who will be in town during the early summer to form an advisory committee.

Compiled by Greg Linch

Miami director of track and field/cross country Amy Deem's incredible career earned her a place ...

Check out the latest edition of Hurricane Magazine. ...

Members from the Miami track and field team spent the afternoon at the Boys and Girls Club in Miami ...

UM administrators, coaches and alums took part in yesterday's allCanes Holiday Shopping Spree f ...