Shalala: No decision yet on stadium

The University of Miami has been dragging its feet on the future of the Orange Bowl, President Donna E. Shalala told the Student Government Senate at the first meeting of their new term Wednesday.

“I love the Orange Bowl,” Shalala said, adding that she hopes to keep the Hurricanes’ at the stadium, but that the university has been talking to Dolphin Stadium and Florida Marlins officials about other possibilities.

She emphasized that she is undecided on whether or not to stay or go, but said the ‘Canes will definitely play there in the fall.

Shalala told the SG Senate she was not there to ask for money and she will not raise the student athletic fee-only for cost of living increases. Moreover, she also raised the question of whether or not playing six homes games each year warrants taxpayers footing the bill, possibly as much as $200 million, the city announced two weeks ago.

There will be no decision in the next two weeks, Shalala said, but it will likely come after students have left for summer break. The president emphasized that such timing is not being done to go behind students backs and said she would student who will be in town during the early summer to form an advisory committee.

Compiled by Greg Linch

Michael Rumph, former Cane cornerback and current cornerbacks coach, has mentioned, along with every ...

N’Kosi Perry, definitely on the quiet side, met the media for the first time on Monday. He’s the Mia ...

On a day in which University of Miami football coach Mark Richt said veteran quarterbacks Malik Rosi ...

Week three of fall camp began today, and the first practice after Saturday’s first scrimmage of camp ...

Researchers use a powerful technique known as Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar to show an in ...

UM’s First Star Academy supports foster care youth. ...