Baseball Preview: Mood in dugout is light as ‘Canes ready for NC State

After three final at-bat wins in the last four games, the Miami Hurricanes come into this weekend’s series against North Carolina State riding a wave of momentum. The mood in the dugout is noticeably lighter as of late, and the team seems to be pulling together with 20 games left in the season.

While Miami remains in the middle of the pack in the ACC, they can improve their position by beating the Wolfpack this weekend, as the Pack sits higher than the Hurricanes in both the ACC and NCAA rankings.

“We’re kind of in the middle of the pack, but if we keep winning series we’ll move up in the ACC, and you can see we’ve been moving up the standings,” third baseman Gus Menendez said. “We’ve just got to keep playing good baseball. I feel like we’re playing pretty good ball and we just have to keep it rolling.”

North Carolina State does not have the same national legacy as the teams Miami has played of late, such as Clemson and Georgia Tech. However, they do feature the probable first overall draft pick in the Major League Baseball draft in 6’10” pitcher Andrew Brackman, formerly of ACC basketball stardom. Pair him with a potent lineup and the Wolfpack have themselves ranked higher than traditional powers throughout the ACC.

“NC State is actually ranked above both us and Georgia Tech in the standings,” Head Coach Jim Morris said. “Their RPI is 28 and they are above us in every way right now. This series will be a big time challenge and they play very competitive baseball.”

The ACC is proving to be a big time stage this year, as almost every team can make a case for the NCAA tournament at the end of the season. It is now time for the Hurricanes to prove whether they are the stars of the scene or merely players upon the stage.

“They might not be a national powerhouse, but they are just as good a team as any,” Menendez said. “We’re not at the top of the ACC so there is no reason for us to be lackadaisical. We have to be competitive. Our goal is to be at the top of the ACC and we are still at the middle. We just have to play ball and it doesn’t matter who we’re playing.”

Dan Stein may be contacted at d.stein@umiami.edu.

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami women's track team kicked off the 2018 ACC Indoor Championships with a ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

The Hurricanes fell in their final road game of the season, 70-51, at Georgia Tech. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...