Police Beat

Pick up The Hurricane every Friday to read the Public Safety call log.

For further information on any of safety services, visit Public Safety’s website at, or contact the Crime Prevention Office at (305) 284-1105.

If you are a victim of a crime, call the Department of Public Safety at 305-284-6666 or if calling from a campus phone dial 8-6666.

1:00 a.m. Vandalism, Pearson Res. College
4:39 a.m. Alcohol violation, Ponce Garage
12:30 p.m. Theft, James L. Knight Physics Building
1:50 p.m. Theft, James L. Knight Physics Building

N/A Possession of Marijuana, 5900 San Amaro Dr.

3:10 a.m., Alcohol violation, Fraternity Row
9:15 a.m., Theft, Stanford Residential College

2:08 a.m., Alcohol violation, 1100 Stanford Drive

9:00 a.m., Theft, Stanford Residential College

The UM Police Department reminds you to be weary of fraud!

Millions of Americans fall victim to hundreds of different types of fraud every year.

Some frauds may cause nothing more than embarrassment, while other frauds can cost a person everything they have. Fraud may be nothing new, but since the advent of computers, fraud has been steadily on the rise. In fact, it has been estimated that 60-90% of all incidents of fraud were committed with the help of a computer. Estimates on the annual cost of fraud and the number of victims greatly vary; however, the indisputable fact is that fraud is very common in American society. Therefore, the best solution is awareness. While some fraud schemes can be quite elaborate, many are very simple and play off of the general public’s inattention to detail, hesitancy to confront questionable situations and general lack of effort to actively protect one’s self. As a general rule of thumb, if something seems too good to be true, is not being done logically or is against standard business practice, or just seems wrong, more than likely something is wrong. Consider the following general fraud avoidance strategies. Guard your personal information; don’t provide any personal information to any seller/ business/ charity unless you know exactly who you are dealing with. Pay the safest way; credit cards are the safest way to pay for online purchases because you can dispute the charges if you never get the goods or services or the offer was misrepresented. Understand the offer; a legitimate seller will give you all the details about the products or services, the total price, the delivery time, the refund and cancellation policies and the terms of any warranty. Resist pressure; a legitimate seller/ business/ charity will be happy to give you time to make a decision. It may be a scam if they demand that you act immediately or won’t take “No” for an answer. Fake cashier checks and money orders are not uncommon; banks may cash or deposit fake checks and then hold you responsible when they discover the problem days later. Further information on fraud is available at or through the UMPD Crime Prevention Office at (305) 284-1105.

A six-pack of UM notes on a Friday: ▪ Four-star Oregon-based quarterback Michael Johnson Jr. told Ri ...

On the eve of her team’s NCAA Tournament opener, University of Miami coach Katie Meier took the oppo ...

The defeated and deflated Miami Hurricanes quietly packed up their bags and trudged out of their Ame ...

Even before Donte Ingram broke Miami’s heart and sent the Hurricanes home from the NCAA Tournament w ...

And so ends Miami's season. No. 11 seed Loyola-Chicago's Donte Ingram hit a buzzer-beating ...

Keeping a 30-year tradition, graduate students organize a fun-filled Hurricane Challenge for youngst ...

From bringing communities together to understanding the impacts of urbanization on the groundwater s ...

Novelist Jennine Capó Crucet’s book talk on March 20 explores belonging, identity, and what it means ...

Musical theatre students spent quality time learning (and laughing) with Avenue Q co-creator Jeff Ma ...

The University of Miami takes concrete steps to become the hemispheric university as it builds a rel ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team was just a point away from its first true road victor ...

Miami's offense shook off a slow start to the series, and the Hurricanes departed Durham Bulls ...

The No. 31 Miami women's tennis team posted its seventh win in the past eight outings by toppin ...

The University of Miami rowing team closed out its spring opener at the 2018 Oak Ridge Cardinal Invi ...

The Canes closed out the Hurricane Invitational with a strong showing on the track and in the field ...