Letter to the Editor: The government has a huge double standard on drugs

Regarding Patrick Gibbons’ Mar. 30th column, alcohol kills more people each year than all illegal drugs combined. Prescription overdose deaths are now second only to motor-vehicle crashes as a cause of death from unintentional injury. Television is filled with sophisticated, pro-drug messages paid for by alcohol and pharmaceutical companies.

The Bush administration doesn’t have a problem with corporate drug pushers. But hoist a “Bong Hits 4 Jesus” banner at an off-campus high school rally in Alaska, and they will fight you all the way to the Supreme Court. It is not clear how this nonsensical phrase somehow merits limiting free speech.

Culture warriors in the White House seem to think the war on pot is more important than the Constitution. It doesn’t stop there. By raiding voter-approved medical marijuana providers in California, the very same Bush administration that claims illicit drug use funds terrorism is forcing cancer and AIDS patients into the hands of street dealers. Apparently, marijuana prohibition is more important than protecting the country from terrorism too.

Robert Sharpe
Washington, DC

Miami director of track and field/cross country Amy Deem's incredible career earned her a place ...

Check out the latest edition of Hurricane Magazine. ...

Members from the Miami track and field team spent the afternoon at the Boys and Girls Club in Miami ...

UM administrators, coaches and alums took part in yesterday's allCanes Holiday Shopping Spree f ...