Letter to the Editor: The government has a huge double standard on drugs

Regarding Patrick Gibbons’ Mar. 30th column, alcohol kills more people each year than all illegal drugs combined. Prescription overdose deaths are now second only to motor-vehicle crashes as a cause of death from unintentional injury. Television is filled with sophisticated, pro-drug messages paid for by alcohol and pharmaceutical companies.

The Bush administration doesn’t have a problem with corporate drug pushers. But hoist a “Bong Hits 4 Jesus” banner at an off-campus high school rally in Alaska, and they will fight you all the way to the Supreme Court. It is not clear how this nonsensical phrase somehow merits limiting free speech.

Culture warriors in the White House seem to think the war on pot is more important than the Constitution. It doesn’t stop there. By raiding voter-approved medical marijuana providers in California, the very same Bush administration that claims illicit drug use funds terrorism is forcing cancer and AIDS patients into the hands of street dealers. Apparently, marijuana prohibition is more important than protecting the country from terrorism too.

Robert Sharpe
Washington, DC

When UM coach Mark Richt summoned quarterback Malik Rosier into his office last year, a few months a ...

Quarterback Malik Rosier of the No. 8-ranked Miami Hurricanes maintains a solid third place in what ...

University of Miami head coach Mark Richt was selected to the 20-member Paul "Bear" Bryant ...

University of Miami sophomore Bruce Brown Jr. was among 21 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

Head coach Katie Meier and senior forward/center Erykah Davenport will represent Miami Thursday at t ...