does he have hoes in every area code?

I’ve just found out that my (very) recent ex-boyfriend was probably dating a girl from his hometown at the same time we were dating, and is probably the reason we broke up. He obviously did not tell me he was leaving me for someone else. I’ve been running into him a lot, and he keeps telling me he wants us to be friends. Although I don’t think I’m ready for this, I’d like to know if the rumors are true, for my own sense of closure. Do you think I should ask? I feel like I deserve to know. What do I do?

~Needing Closure

Dear Reader,

Wanting closure in a relationship is completely understandable. It must be pretty unnerving to hear that your boyfriend may have been seeing a girl from back home (sorry, boys-just ‘cuz they’re in different zip codes, doesn’t mean it’s not cheating); it’s adding salt to the wound, as they say.

But let’s examine the facts here. Are you sure he was two-timing you? Who gave you the low down here? It’s probably not quite as black-and-white as you’re making it out to be. Do a little sleuthing, check your sources-things may not be what they seem.

If, however, you’re absolutely sure he was cheating, you’ve got to ask yourself: do you really want to hear the truth from him? Even if you think you’re over him, it’s going to hurt. Think about it. What good is this going to do? Chances are you’re just going to start a huge fight, and who comes out feeling crappy? You-and you’re still alone.

I don’t think closure means knowing every little detail about why your relationship ended (especially if it’s going to rip your heart out). It’s about you making peace-with him, with yourself, with the relationship as a whole. You don’t need to know the specifics of his infidelity; it’s painful and unnecessary.

Okay, so if you still feel like you need to talk to this guy, whatever the reason, don’t drag it out or make it more complicated than it needs to be. Remember, it’s over between the two of you-there’s no need to yell, cry or fight.

Confess that you’ve been hearing some unsettling rumors, and that you’d like to know if they’re true. Remind him that you’re not going to bite his head off, you just want closure. If he gets snippy or defensive, then drop it. Honestly, is it really worth getting into a wicked fight?

And props to you for recognizing that you’re not ready to be friends with your ex; it’s definitely a good call. So after you’ve gotten your answer.walk away. Leave it in the past, and move on.

Best of Luck!

Fact’o’the Day: “Formicophilia” is the fetish for having small insects crawl on your genitals.my, oh, my.

Please send probing inquiries to DearV@themiamihurricane.com or submit them online at themiamihurricane.com/dearv. All questions will remain anonymous.

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry struck out 11 to help lead the Hurricanes to their 10thstraight ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...