City offers proposals to keep ‘Canes at Orange Bowl, awaits UM response

The future of the Orange Bowl remains up in the air, and the final decision still rests with University of Miami officials.

According to an article in The Miami Herald Sunday, the City of Miami has made two proposals to the university in a final attempt to keep the Hurricanes from moving to Dolphin Stadium.

Miami City Manager Pete Hernandez told The Herald that the proposals were made to UM late Friday and the university indicated it would respond in two to three weeks.

The proposals involve scaling back renovations, but officials still consider the move to Dolphin Stadium likely-mostly because the Hurricanes would make millions more in profit annually by moving there.

Hernandez also told The Herald that the proposals consist of different levels of scale backs, which would cost between $150 million and $200 million. Because of the sensitive nature of the negotiations, Hernandez could not go into specifics.

“We’re trying very hard with the city to see if there’s a way to do the project on a bit of a scale-back basis,” Paul Dee, UM’s athletic director, was quoted as saying in The Herald.

“The university needs time to review the [proposals].”

UM has been in serious negotiations with Dolphin Stadium for weeks and has resolved most of the issues. The Herald reported that Dolphin Stadium officials are optimistic, but have received no commitment from UM.

-Compiled by Megan Ondrizek

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

Bruce Brown Jr. scored 19 points leading Miami to victory over NC State in Raleigh. ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, No. 19 Miami finished the day with an ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...