City offers proposals to keep ‘Canes at Orange Bowl, awaits UM response

The future of the Orange Bowl remains up in the air, and the final decision still rests with University of Miami officials.

According to an article in The Miami Herald Sunday, the City of Miami has made two proposals to the university in a final attempt to keep the Hurricanes from moving to Dolphin Stadium.

Miami City Manager Pete Hernandez told The Herald that the proposals were made to UM late Friday and the university indicated it would respond in two to three weeks.

The proposals involve scaling back renovations, but officials still consider the move to Dolphin Stadium likely-mostly because the Hurricanes would make millions more in profit annually by moving there.

Hernandez also told The Herald that the proposals consist of different levels of scale backs, which would cost between $150 million and $200 million. Because of the sensitive nature of the negotiations, Hernandez could not go into specifics.

“We’re trying very hard with the city to see if there’s a way to do the project on a bit of a scale-back basis,” Paul Dee, UM’s athletic director, was quoted as saying in The Herald.

“The university needs time to review the [proposals].”

UM has been in serious negotiations with Dolphin Stadium for weeks and has resolved most of the issues. The Herald reported that Dolphin Stadium officials are optimistic, but have received no commitment from UM.

-Compiled by Megan Ondrizek

After jumping three spots from No. 10 to No. 7 last week in the Amway Coaches Poll (one spot better ...

University of Miami weak-side linebacker Michael Pinckney is definitely old-school Miami Hurricane. ...

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he was locked in. ...

Kolby Bird had a career-high 21 kills, but the Hurricanes dropped a five-set battle to Notre Dame on ...

The Miami soccer team recognized its four seniors Sunday afternoon and then dropped a hard-fought 2- ...