Weird News

Text Message Competition

The first text messaging competition will take place in Los Angeles on Saturday April 7. Only the most skilled text-message player will win the race of being deemed the fastest text-messaging champion. The key element to this competition is that popular text shorthand (such as LOL or GTG) will not be allowed. The competition is being organized by LG Electronics. Players will be competing in groups for speed and accuracy and the winner will be awarded $10,000 and an invitation to the finals in New York City on April 21.

Scientist research: Liquor before beer, you’re in the clear?

Most drinkers have, at some point or another, experienced that horrible hangover, but many times they blame the “mixology” of it all. The saying “beer before liquor, never been sicker; liquor before beer, you’re in the clear” is a perfect example. The assistant professor of nutrition, Russel Marz, at the National College of Naturopathic Medicine in Portland, has been conducting scientific research to see if the phrase is actually a fact. While she hasn’t found any fact to the statement, what is true is that mixing different kinds of alcoholic beverages may cause problems for people who have allergies to compounds found in such drinks. For example, the tannins in red wine can cause headaches. For a person allergic to wheat and rye, mixing beer and liquor could take a greater toll than sticking to one type of drink would. But Marz does not believe that the order in which you consume affects how you’ll feel the next day.

Wine flavored Ice cream

New York’s Mercer’s Ice Cream in Boonville has turned wine into ice cream. The ice cream line is available in three flavors: Ala Port Wine, Peachy White Zinfandel and Red Raspberry Chardonnay. The flavors are for adults only since they have five percent alcohol content and a pint of the flavors are equivalent to one glass of wine.

Compiled by Martamaria Gomez

The University of Miami had four student-athletes selected to the watch lists for the Maxwell Award ...

The University of Miami's Symone Mason closed out the 2018 IAAF World U20 Championships with a ...