Weird News

Text Message Competition

The first text messaging competition will take place in Los Angeles on Saturday April 7. Only the most skilled text-message player will win the race of being deemed the fastest text-messaging champion. The key element to this competition is that popular text shorthand (such as LOL or GTG) will not be allowed. The competition is being organized by LG Electronics. Players will be competing in groups for speed and accuracy and the winner will be awarded $10,000 and an invitation to the finals in New York City on April 21.

Scientist research: Liquor before beer, you’re in the clear?

Most drinkers have, at some point or another, experienced that horrible hangover, but many times they blame the “mixology” of it all. The saying “beer before liquor, never been sicker; liquor before beer, you’re in the clear” is a perfect example. The assistant professor of nutrition, Russel Marz, at the National College of Naturopathic Medicine in Portland, has been conducting scientific research to see if the phrase is actually a fact. While she hasn’t found any fact to the statement, what is true is that mixing different kinds of alcoholic beverages may cause problems for people who have allergies to compounds found in such drinks. For example, the tannins in red wine can cause headaches. For a person allergic to wheat and rye, mixing beer and liquor could take a greater toll than sticking to one type of drink would. But Marz does not believe that the order in which you consume affects how you’ll feel the next day.

Wine flavored Ice cream

New York’s Mercer’s Ice Cream in Boonville has turned wine into ice cream. The ice cream line is available in three flavors: Ala Port Wine, Peachy White Zinfandel and Red Raspberry Chardonnay. The flavors are for adults only since they have five percent alcohol content and a pint of the flavors are equivalent to one glass of wine.

Compiled by Martamaria Gomez

View photos from the Syracuse at Miami game Saturday, Oct. 21, 2017, at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami G ...

CANESFAN SATISFACTION METER: G6: Time again for the latest installment of the Canesfan Satisfaction ...

Syracuse student writer Matthew Gutierrez of The Daily Orange asked me to answer some of his questio ...

After this past University of Miami football game, coach Mark Richt said the crowd came alive during ...

Syracuse visits Miami on Saturday, October 21st at Hard Rock Stadium. ...

Behind a historic performance from senior Olga Strantzali, the University of Miami volleyball team b ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...