‘The Lookout’ is two-thirds of a strong film

Some of writer Scott Frank’s earlier and best work includes the screenplays for “Get Shorty,” “Out of Sight” and “Minority Report.” In “The Lookout,” which he wrote and directed as well, Frank takes advantage of his skills for sharp, concise dialogue and noirish themes of seduction and betrayal.

The story opens as a popular high school hockey star, Chris Pratt (Joseph Gordon-Levitt), gets himself and three other friends into a disastrous car accident, leaving him with brain damage. Cut to four years later, and the accident has left Chris barely able to take care of himself. He has trouble with his memory and in performing even the simplest tasks.

Even though he’s far from being a vegetable, he’s no longer the shining person he used to be. When he meets Gary (Matthew Goode) in a bar, a past aquaintance who tells him that he can help him, Chris is all ears.

The problems escalate from there for Chris as he’s manipulated (mostly by his attraction for Luvlee-a girl Gary enlists to help ease Chris into the idea) into helping Gary and his gang rob a bank where Chris works as the night janitor.

Frank’s script is almost always on point, offering up a number of interesting characters and some great dialogue to go with them. The story is not as consistent and engrossing as some of his best work, but it still holds down the fort. The acting is pretty fantastic from everyone involved (with the exception of a few clich

Juwan Dowels vividly remembers his first winter on the Syracuse University campus. Like the other 11 ...

The Miami soccer team registered a 3-0 victory over Pittsburgh Thursday night at Cobb Stadium behind ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team will open play Friday at the ITA Southeast Region ...

Here are three matchups to watch Saturday as the Hurricanes take on the Syracuse Orange at Hard Rock ...

The University of Miami men's basketball team will begin the season as No. 12 in the USA TODAY ...