Sports Briefs

Swimming and Diving: ‘Canes claim prestigious awards

Junior Jenna Dreyer and freshman Brittany Viola claimed the Atlantic Coast Conference Diver of the Year and Freshman of the Year honors, respectively, as voted by ACC head coaches.

The award for Dreyer, this year’s ACC Champion, marks her second as she took home the ACC Diver of the Year award in 2005. Dreyer won the one-meter and three-meter springboards at the ACC Championships and took home the ACC Most Valuable Diver award as well. At the 2007 NCAA Championships Dreyer earned All-America honors with a bronze medal finish in the one-meter springboard.

Viola became the first ‘Cane ever to earn the ACC Freshman of the Year award. Additionally, Viola earned All-America honors with a sixth place finish in the platform event at the NCAA Championships. She also earned an All-American honorable mention for a 14th place finish in the three-meter springboard competition.

Track and Field: Talley tallies-up qualifying marks

On the men’s side of the competition at the Auburn Springtime Invite, junior Tim Harris topped the 800-meters competition. His time of 1:48.74 was a regional qualifying time.

On the women’s side, junior Khadija Talley captured two first place finishes and three NCAA qualifying marks. Talley earned first place finishes in the shot put and discus, and a second-place finish in the hammer throw.

Sophomore Viktoria Andonova took first place in the high jump with a jump of 1.83 meters.

Senior Ginou Etienne also took home a first place finish, as she finished in the 800-meters, while sophomore teammate Ena Leufroy took second.

Freshman Deandra Doyley and senior Amy Seward finish second and third, respectively, in the long jump. Both earned an NCAA regional mark with their finishes.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

It’s one thing for a player who’s projected to go in the first two rounds of the NFL Draft to turn p ...

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The No. 25/23 Miami men's basketball team shot a sizzling 57.6 percent from the field in pullin ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, the No. 19 Miami women's tennis t ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...