Sports Briefs

Swimming and Diving: ‘Canes claim prestigious awards

Junior Jenna Dreyer and freshman Brittany Viola claimed the Atlantic Coast Conference Diver of the Year and Freshman of the Year honors, respectively, as voted by ACC head coaches.

The award for Dreyer, this year’s ACC Champion, marks her second as she took home the ACC Diver of the Year award in 2005. Dreyer won the one-meter and three-meter springboards at the ACC Championships and took home the ACC Most Valuable Diver award as well. At the 2007 NCAA Championships Dreyer earned All-America honors with a bronze medal finish in the one-meter springboard.

Viola became the first ‘Cane ever to earn the ACC Freshman of the Year award. Additionally, Viola earned All-America honors with a sixth place finish in the platform event at the NCAA Championships. She also earned an All-American honorable mention for a 14th place finish in the three-meter springboard competition.

Track and Field: Talley tallies-up qualifying marks

On the men’s side of the competition at the Auburn Springtime Invite, junior Tim Harris topped the 800-meters competition. His time of 1:48.74 was a regional qualifying time.

On the women’s side, junior Khadija Talley captured two first place finishes and three NCAA qualifying marks. Talley earned first place finishes in the shot put and discus, and a second-place finish in the hammer throw.

Sophomore Viktoria Andonova took first place in the high jump with a jump of 1.83 meters.

Senior Ginou Etienne also took home a first place finish, as she finished in the 800-meters, while sophomore teammate Ena Leufroy took second.

Freshman Deandra Doyley and senior Amy Seward finish second and third, respectively, in the long jump. Both earned an NCAA regional mark with their finishes.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com.

It’s dress rehearsal time for the Miami Hurricanes. On Thursday morning, the Hurricanes will conduct ...

Coach Mark Richt had just told the young man who grew up loving the Miami Hurricanes that he would b ...

The University of Miami has a starting quarterback. On Tuesday, 11 days before the 2017 home opener, ...

View photos from the Miami Hurricanes' practice on Wed., Aug. 23, 2017. … Click to Continue » ...

Mark Richt, pleased and seemingly confident about his selection of redshirt junior Malik Rosier as t ...

Students and faculty gathered at the Rock to catch a glimpse of the solar eclipse. ...

The University of Miami has embarked on an ambitious 10-year housing plan that will transform the st ...