Men’s Tennis: Tar Heels snap win streak

After winning five consecutive contests, the University of Miami men’s tennis team’s win streak was snapped by No. 6 North Carolina on Friday afternoon in Chapel Hill, NC. The ‘Canes had no answer for the red hot Tar Heels, who easily downed Miami 6-1 in an important conference match-up.

The loss drops the No. 35 Hurricanes to 9-8 overall and 4-2 in ACC play. Miami continues to struggle on the road this season with an abysmal 2-6 record away from Coral Gables, Fla. Miami’s win streak, albeit impressive, must be taken at face value: all five matches were played at home

The Hurricanes were completely overpowered by an impressive North Carolina team that improved to 16-0 on the season, matching their best start since 1970.

The lone victory for Miami came from their All-American No. 1 singles player Luigi D’Agord, who defeated Carolina’s Benjamin Carlotti. D’Agord, who was named “ACC Player of the Week” for his impressive play last weekend, dropped the first set 3-6 to Carlotti but fought back to win the next two 6-1 and 10-8 in a tiebreaker.

Playing without their No. 2 singles player Danny Vallverdu, who sprained his ankle in a match against Maryland last weekend, Head Coach Mario Rincon was forced to move each of his players up a slot in the lineup. However, with the exception of D’Agord, the ‘Canes were unable to step up, losing the remainder of their singles matches in straight sets.

The Hurricanes’ schedule does not get much easier from here, as they face four Top 25 opponents in their final six matches. With three of these four matches being held on the road, the Hurricanes must find a way to win away from home if they hope to defend last year’s ACC title.

At the time of print, the results of the match against Duke on Sunday had not been released.

Zack Loss may be contacted at z.loss@umiami.edu.

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

The Miami Hurricanes will kick off their 2018 home schedule at Hard Rock Stadium on Saturday, Sept. ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...