Letter to the Editor: Intolerance in Iron Arrow

Intolerance among the university’s highest honor was seen in the Iron Arrow inductions last Thursday, which happened to coincide with the Marriages on the Rock. The Inductions finished about halfway through the marriages, but some members were still by the Rock by the time University Chaplain Father Frank made his speech supporting marriage equality. About halfway through his speech, I noticed two members of Iron Arrow walking by.

One of them stopped long enough to say that the speaker was “out of his mind” and make a flagrant gesture shooing the speaker’s words away from herself. Behavior like this is annual, almost traditional, at this galvanizing event like Marriages on the Rock. I firmly believe in the freedom of speech, but I also believe in accountability.

How can the Iron Arrow society which prides itself on love of alma mater, character, leadership, scholarship, and humility have members that publicly disgrace another organization of the alma mater as well as a university chaplain? Where is the love of alma mater, leadership, and humility? This behavior is more akin to humiliation. If this is what leaders at the university are thinking and saying, what does that say about the rest of the UM community?

Raymond Mathews
Vice President of spectrUM
Junior

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Sophomore Evan McKendry rebounded with a dazzling start, and No. 24 Miami handed No. 1 Florida its f ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

No. 24 Miami dropped the second game of a rivalry series with No. 1 Florida Saturday night, falling ...

The Miami women's tennis team got back to its winning ways Saturday afternoon, defeating Georgi ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...