What can your cell do for you?

The latest phones have GPS navigation systems and mp3 players but what about all the really useful things your phone could be doing for you?

Scheduled calls

Need an excuse to get out of a potentially awakward situation, Popularity dialer.com helps make that phone ring right when you need it to.

Advertised as the service that can help you “look extra important or popular on that hot date, or maybe you just needed an excuse to escape from an unpleasant meeting,” Popularitydialer.com uses a web interface that allows you to plan to have you phone called at a particular time. You are greeted by a prerecorded message so that you can have a full conversation, and you can choose who your call is from and what type of message it is-a sexy English lover, a cousin in need, a return to the office or the regular popularity call. However, currently only five free calls can be made to a particular number.

Directory Assistance

According to the New York Sun, Americans spend more than eight billion dollars on phone directory assistance. Jingle Networks introduced 1-800-FREE-411 which offers listings, directory assistance and connection all for free (you just have to listen to an advertisement while waiting for the number). For more information, visit www.free411.com

Voicemail to Email

www.gotvoice.com offers a free service that allows cell phone users to have their voicemails delivered via email. This is especially important if you are abroad or in an area of bad reception, but have internet access, so that you can still check your messages. Plus, voicemails will stay on your existing phone’s voicemail system so they can be accessed either way.

Conference Calling

Trying to decide on plans and need everyone’s input? Freeconference.com allows you to create a free conference call for up to 24 people. Click on the “reservationless standard” to access the service and get started! The only catch is that the company does not provide a toll free (800) number, so the only cost of the call would be the normal cost of a long-distance call.

Bari Lieberman is the EDGE Editor and can be contacted at b.lieberman@umiami.edu.

One day after the University of Miami announced that starting cornerback Malek Young would undergo “ ...

It’s one thing for a player who’s projected to go in the first two rounds of the NFL Draft to turn p ...

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The No. 25/23 Miami men's basketball team shot a sizzling 57.6 percent from the field in pullin ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, the No. 19 Miami women's tennis t ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...